Skip to main content

Why Apocalypse?

A little while ago I asked my Facebook friends for suggestions for Post-apocalyptic media to read, watch and play.  Thanks to their suggestions I compiled quite a large list (which I’ve recreated here) so that I could make my way through them and review them like the hideous reading, reviewing nerd I am.  So far I’ve made barely a dent on it, I’m still reading the books I own and the local library has remained quite unmolested by my demands for mutants, psionic powers and people generally suffering in the wake of various forms of apocalypses be they nuclear, alien, bacterial, zombie or more prosaic, like the world running out of oil or the environment changing so much that plants are difficult to propagate.

I suppose the question is why I would choose to do such a thing, especially in a world that’s pretty bleak at present.  Surely these vistas of horrific, twisted worlds are the last things that anyone would want to read especially for pleasure? 

Well yes… and no.  The chief reason for my adopting the genre wholesale as it were, is that with my growing focus on writing I’ve decided to restrict what I read, shying away from urban fantasy, steampunk and vampire literature (though in truth I don’t read that much vampire stuff anyway; and at the time I hadn’t realised how much A Fatal Thirst was a Post-apocalyptic novel and I’m reluctant to change course now, I’m far too much of a flibberty jibbet at the best of times and I’m trying to stick to my guns over something at least). 

Anyway, I found myself in a position where I was casting about for something to read and I didn’t want to go out of genre too much.  I also didn’t want to end up plumping for Medieval, high fantasy, as most a great deal of it leaves me cold these days or for space opera, which somehow I just don’t click with a lot of the time (I don’t really enjoy military SF and a lot of space opera seems to use that as its default setting).  Post-apocalypse fiction seemed to suit the sort of thing I was looking for, it is still Fantastika but at the same time it’s wildly divergent so there was no chance of getting bogged down in one vision, there doesn’t seem to be a Tolkien like figure casting their shadow over the sub-genre (if there can even be said to be genre in the first place) and as a result it feels a lot more individual. 

The last thing was that I had the mad idea that delving into one genre would allow me to be more analytical and measured in my reading, to allow me to look for trends and truisms that can be applied across the board (if such things exist) as well as reading for pleasure.

Curiously many of the novels I’ve read so far aren’t actually that depressing, there is darkness and unpleasantness but their basic premise is often that “change is good” rather than fantasy or space opera that so frequently seem to cling to a sort of orthodoxy, preserving the status quo, for fear that it will be overthrown (why else would so many dark lords be replaced by good kings, rather than by republics?).  These novels positively revel in the fact that the only constant is change, that the old world will be swept away and replaced by something new and, usually, better.  They show us that in the end the tears; the frustration are worth it and that a new life in a new world is possible.  Isn’t that an uplifting message?  Isn’t that better than “no matter what you do, the bastards will win in the end?”

One thing that I would like to do is come up with a tag for the Post-apoc reviews, a way of identifying them to the reader, especially as I’d like to crossover what I’m doing to the Hastur’s Hamster gaming blog for the gaming side of things.

The list is as follows:

Okay, as Kristi Jones said I should do the list of this, here goes...

Books I own/are owned by Eve:
  • Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (read - will review soon)
  • Greybeard by Brian Aldiss (read)
  • The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (read)
  • Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (read... well more listened to as BBC4 Extra had an unabridged version of it recently)
  • The Kraken Wakes by John Wyndham (read)
  • Demon Download by Jack Yeovi (read) - these should be in the recommended section too as Ian Crichton mentioned them.
  • Krokodil Tears by Jack Yeovil (can't remember if I've read this)
  • Route 666 by Jack Yeovil
  • The Wind Up Girl by Paolo Baciglupi - this should be in the suggested by friends bit too as Mavis recommended it.
  • World War Z by Max Brooks
  • Zombie Apocalypse by Steve Jones and a bunch of other reprobates
  • The Wraeththu series by Storm Constantine - which I've not read for over 10 years (and don't remember that fondly to be honest)
  • 20th Century Boys - anime series with a constructed apocalypse, which I'm a mite obsessed with.

Books I've read but don't own:
  • The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Books suggest be friends on Facebook:
  • Silent Spring by Rachel Carson (suggested by Eve Weaver)
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (suggested by Cara McKee) - on the strength of that I probalbly should include Maul by Tricia Sullivan as that's pretty much the flipside of Handmaid.
  • Night's Dawn by Peter F Hamilton (suggested by Mavis)
  • Zima Blue by Alistair Reynolds (suggested by Kristi Jones)
  • Pure by Julianna Baggot (suggested by Kristi Jones)
  • Reading the Stones by Sherrie Tepper (suggested by Linzi Cooke)
  • The Postman by David Brin (suggested by Kristi Jones)
  • I am Legend  by Richard Matheson (suggested by Kristi Jones)
  • The Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawk (suggested by Kristi Jones)
  • The Last Airship by ? (suggested by Rich Blackett)
  • Survivalist by Jerry Ahern (suggested by Rich Blackett - and yes, the cover's total cheese)
  • Brother in the Land by Robert E Swindells (suggested by Cara McKee)
  • The Bed-Sitting Room by Milligan (suggested by Martin Kingston)
  • Swan Song by Robert MacCammon (suggested by Raven Dane)
  • Domain by James Herbert
  • Under the Dome by Stephen King (both suggested by Jackie Clewlow)
  • Peshawar Lancers by S.M. Stirling (suggested by J Rob't Harrison
  • Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M Miller (suggested by Pookie UK)
  • Death of Grass by John Christopher (suggested by Pookie UK)
  • Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling (suggested by Pookie UK)
  • Nausica - anime (suggested by Kristi Jones - I own the first couple of volumes somewhere...)
Fillum and TeeVee:
  • Hardware
  • Mad Max series (Darren Chadwick seems a mite obsessed with this)
  • Escape from New York
  • Escape from LA
  • Akira
  • Nausica
  • Gilgamesh (anime series)
  • Wolf's Rain (anime series)
  • Burst Angel (anime series)
  • The Tribe (TV series from New Zealand from the '90s - I don't own it but it was defnitely post apocalypse)
  • No Escape? (Eve says that the culture on the island is post apoc even if the fillum doesn't come from that genre)
I suppose there's the Postman, Water World and the fillum version of I am Legend...

RPGs and games people have suggested
  • Dark Future (rules only)
  • Atomic Highway (I own this one)
  • Airship Pirates (I own this one too)
  • Twilight 2000
  • Dark Conspiracy
  • Fallout games for the PC
which were mostly suggested by Stu Ball, Rich Blackett and Rob Smith... I think Gamma World's meant to be classic isn't it?  I think Sarah Newton's a big fan of that world.  I'm trying to avoid Rifts - it looked fascinating when I was a kid and saw the adverts in American comicbooks but these days it fills me with fear - way too much kitchen sink.

This is the list as it stands, feel free to suggest more books, films and games for me to look at.  I fancy taking a long tour through this sort of thing and there'll probably be much in the way of d'oh moments and hopefully later on some written stuff, analysing the stuff I've seen and read (for instance comparing western and Japanese apocalypses and their aftermaths - aside from "fewer big robots in western stuff).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...