Skip to main content

The Asylum 2012


Lincoln Castle courtesy of lincoln online live

A late post about this lovely event, out of the gate after most of the other attendees have posted blogs about it (I've had surgery for a hernia this week so I've not been working as diligently as I should; that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Like glue).  For the ooh five of you that don't know what the Asylum is (let's be optimistic and assume that I'm going to get more than five readers shall we?), it's a big steampunk event, that takes place in the absolutely gorgeous, and rather steep, city of Lincoln in the, erm, east of England... I'm not actually sure how to explain Lincoln's location, it's not really very north, or east, or midlandy but sits between the three.  Anyway the Asylum coats Lincoln with people in beautiful clothes, selling beautiful things, doing beautiful things (you get the picture).

All in all it was a highly enjoyable weekend; Eve and I had a lot of fun catching up with friends (we didn't get to do enough of this, boo to have friends who were working over the weekend) and seeing great stuff, with a couple of 'why the hell did I bother' moments thrown in, as is my wont (Guinness World Record Attempt I'm looking at you there I'm afraid, though I concede the fault was mine for not really having paid attention to what was going on and not assumed my pirate clobber which comes from a much more fantasy based version of steampunk was going to suffice).

I'm glad to say that the flag parade on the Saturday went well, I carried the banner for Eve's pirate group (Emilia Etherheart's pirate crew if anyone's interesting in joining up for piratey doings, tea and cake) and didn't drop it - though I note with amusement that my face is obscured by the flag in the photos on Facebook and I felt sorry for the Lost Patrol who managed to lose half their flag group somewhere, reducing it to Arkwright and Linzi.  It's a shame that the plaques detailing all the flags and who they belonged to didn't get printed and that the planned announcement of each group also didn't come about. I'm not sure why it didn't happen but its a shame especially as I suspect that people put a lot of work into getting the words right as well as doing their flags.

The First Tea Company parade was gloriously shambolic in a way that only a fictional military company drawn together by a love of tea could be. It was the very opposite of the 3rd Foot and Mouth parade that preceded it, and was mostly concerned with people having tea and cake before getting on with the very serious matter of someone being tried for tea duelling (see here for an explanation:  http://frog101.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/tea-duelling-the-rules/), which ended up with a defence in the form of a song by Rachel Hayward and Robert Rankin whilst Michael Susan Smith did marvelously as the prosecution.

The last Broad Arrow Jack gig on the Friday night was masterfully performed and its a genuine shame to see the group split up. Their quirkiness was one of the great things about the group and I hope that Crimson Clocks the sort of successor group that a couple of members have founded will take on that aspect and really move it forward; steampunk is as much about whimsy as it is anything else.  The only bone I have to pick is that there was the lack of Drunken Steampunk, which was a shame but otherwise

The panels I attended were well put together, though the second one 'Write a Cog on it' benefited from a strong moderator in the form of Jonathan Green who steered the conversation a lot more effectively than the panel about publishing on the Saturday, which ended up feeling a bit more random in its content.  To me I must admit the publishing panel trod over a lot of familiar ground, this kind of discussion seems to be de-rigeur at most events that have a publishing or writing element, but for many of the delegates I'm sure it was more helpful.

On the Saturday I was also privileged to attend many friends' book launches and was really pleased to see my friend's Linzi Cooke's first novel the Home Front in print (her site is here: http://www.lmcooke.com/index.html) .  Whilst I don't know if I'll read it (that damnable not reading genres I write thing again), I'm so pleased that she's gone from being unable to show anyone her work to being a published author, with all the sudden elements of having a second job that that entails.

Picture

It was also good to see Raven Dane and Sam Stone launch their books (though Raven's book launch did reveal one of the flaws of the way that the book launches were originally being done - being in the middle of a trading hall with lots of people milling around talking made it so that poor Raven couldn't be heard over the background noise and David J Howe from Telos books had to do her reading for her).  Nonetheless the launch went well and .  To their credit the organisers realised that this was the case and moved the book launches to the cafe area, which was better if not truly ideal, and I'm sure that it's something they'll get sorted for next year if the same set up has to be used again.  Sam was launching two books, the fifth and apparently last in her Vampire Gene series and a stand alone steampunk/horror book called Zombies at Tiffany's, of which I've read some (I got bored on the way home and we had the book to hand).  Again David did one of the readings, which only confirmed what a good reading voice he has (up there with John Probert in my opinion).  Perhaps Sam should get him to record some of her stories when her next book of short stories comes out, whenever that is.

Oh and a little book from the Last Line with a story of mine was also launched... Check it out here: http://thelastline.yolasite.com/about-us.php

I must confess that we didn't do much of the nightlife this year, mostly because of both of us feeling tired on the Saturday night and Eve needing to get ready for the Illicit Market the next day - which led to something of a culture shock, watching actually television for something like the first time in a year and realising that our decision to abandon it when the digital switchover came about was the right one. That meant we missed the burlesque but that's okay as we have the lovely Enchanted Burlesque coming up in Birmingham soon - well next month.

So all in all a good weekend, as I said.  Congratulations to Raven Dane for winning best novel, to Geof Banyard for being inducted into the Victorian Steampunk Society and Jemma Hewitt for winning the best nonfiction category.  And if anyone else knows who won the other awards please tell me.  

As ever with the Asylum I've come away with a head full of ideas for all sorts of things; stories to write, costumes to make (or try to), props to create (ditto) and various other things.  Which all sums up to me the wonder of steampunk, the manic, frenetic creativity, the conviviality and kindness that permeates the community and makes it such a great, welcoming phenomenon. Cheers to you all and hopefully see you all next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...