Skip to main content

Hellblazer: End of the Road



Last week I found out that Hellblazer, one of the first mature comics I read way back in 1994, will end publication early next year with issue 300. The news provokes mixed feelings in me, to be honest. John Constantine parted company several years ago, at the end of Mike Carey's run; not because I hated the character but I felt that I'd travelled as far as I could with him. I was worn out and needed a change, especially with the downbeat ending of Carey's run.

Nonetheless I have fond, strong memories of the book. At the point where I picked up (finding it in a newsagents in Ormskirk of all places), I had abandoned superheroes, in part because my sister had convinced me that nobody at university would be reading comics - how wrong she was - and in part because I was tired of superheroes and their stupid, pointless battles. My first issue was number 84, the chain smoking chimpanzee in drag, automatically drawing my eye because it was so distinctive.

  

It told a dark, delicate story that resonated with my new interest in horror and dark, modern fantasy. I'd played some World of Darkness games and the comic seemed to chime with it beautifully. But it was John's voice, his cool, dark, sarcastic voice that hooked me and made me want to know more. I began to buy the book regularly, picking up back issues where I could and discovering John's destructive history.

Writers brought slightly different facets of Constantine into the light for the reader to enjoy. Jamie Delano's slick conman shares qualities with Garth Ennis' version of the character but Ennis undermined the character's roots slightly more, sending him into more dangerous territory, always threatening to pull the rug from under his feet. Other writers brought their visions to us, with an ever changing cast of the supporting characters; being John's friend was always a dangerous occupation and most writers ended either killing or alienating their own creations to clear the way for the next writer. The title of the book gave it a manifesto, we could see John royally fucking up, we knew that if Hell exists then he was slowly inching his way towards it.

The main draw of the character has always been who he is, unlike most of the spandex crowd, he was never defined by his opponents, in the way that Lex Luthor is necessary to cast Superman into a context, and he was grounded in history and politics. Jamie Delano's issue with demon yuppies caught the character wonderfully as a left wing anarchist who's schemes led him astray. His efforts to keep ahead of the pack often proving to be his undoing (at the same time we know his cons and magic are successful, the fact that he keeps being banned from betting shops is testament to that). Ultimately he successfully defeated his enemies, it's only in the case of the exceptional ones like Papa Midnight and the First of the Fallen that he suffered the indignities of recurring villains and they never felt like they were in the same category as the Joker or Dr Octopus; somehow bigger, more important; never just another encounter.

The other thing that I always felt was innovative was that the character aged in real time, we could see him growing older, and got the idea from the book's tenth anniversary issue that what we learned through the comic was only what the character himself recounted to us, as if we really did meet him down the pub and listen to his stories over a pint of beer. One issue even exploited the idea, with John leading a gullible idiot up the garden path with stories about the royal family being lizards, David Icke style. Is that what we were? Idiots to be told tall tales, I'd like to think not but Constantine was a fox; trusting anything he told you was a dangerous tactic.

I must confess that whilst Ennis' run was enjoyable, I prefer his early issues before Steve Dillon joined him. The stories seem darker, less grand guignol and have a tenseness that pleases. In the same vein, I quite enjoyed much of Paul Jenkins' run, even if it limped to the finish line.  Oddly the Brian Azzarello run, the first to be written by an American (Constantine is a quintessentially British character, his blood is stained with Liverpool and London), was one of the strongest, with a fish out of water meta-plot that served to show Constantine as an everyman, as he explored America's freakish backwaters. In contrast Warren Ellis' run was something of a disappointment, as if his heart wasn't really in writing the character even if he did introduce interesting concepts like Map, a living version of London who collaborated with John on a number of occasions and counts as one of the few survivors of an authors run.

Now the series is ending and the character will be folded fully into DC's "New 52" as a younger version. Some facets, the trench coat, the rumpled corporate look with the askew black tie, the ever present cigarette, remain and the character is already established in the new universe as part of the Justice League Dark. The new series 'Constantine' will follow this younger version's adventures.

It's an understandable move in some regards; the down side to letting John age in real time is that sooner or later he has to die, you can't keep him forever young. Also Hellblazer has shed too many readers even for the notoriously low sales Vertigo imprint to keep going, especially for the character who for a long time has been seen as their flagship character, even more of an identifier than Dream of the Endless.

It doesn't do anything to assuage my fears that something important will be lost. John has always been so English (like the Doctor), so tied to the UK and its culture and history that it worries me that a rebooted version will lose far more than he gains. Sure he's younger but what happens to his history? Was he ever in Mucous Membrane, did the horrific events of his childhood still occur? These things are so tied to the history of the UK that its hard to see how a new version could carry them across without ringing a fraudulent. Like real life though, they can't just be deleted without cheapening something.

A sad day. I think I'll dig out some of my old Hellblazers and enjoy them all again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...