Skip to main content

A New Year, A New You, erm I Mean Me


Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to 2013, check your coats at the door and find a good seat; we’re going to be here for a while (let’s hope they clean that crap off the windows this year, eh?).

Traditionally we resolve to be better at this time of year. Mostly, these are unrealistic; we fall back into old habits almost as soon as we start trying to change. If we had the time and energy we could affect the changes we desire, make them stick. As it is, we try to do them in the coldest, most miserable month in the year with lots of things for us to struggle through; work, cold, dark, the comedown from Christmas and New Year and money worries because we’ve all almost invariably overspent. A hard day at work leads to unwinding in front of the telly with a pint and fish and chips, because it’s more comfortable than going for a jog or sitting alone, trying to do something new.

Last year I laid out a grand plan to try and get myself motivated and found the wheels fell off almost immediately. I overwhelmed myself and things didn’t go according to plan (at all).

Consequently, this year I’m being far more modest, there are only three semi resolutions that I’m willing to commit to; they’re things I feel I have to do rather than things that will create an idealised version of myself (which often seems to be what resolutions are all about). I’m also limiting what I commit to because I’m incredibly conscious that what I’ve said I’ll do takes time and that increasingly feels like a rare commodity.

First I’ve said that I’ll finish more things; which really boils down to completing projects and stories I start. Unpacking it a bit, I need to follow Heinlein’s laws more closely, even if that means submitting to barter rather than gift culture. I may follow Jaine Fenn’s example, and not force myself to write anything significant every day, focusing instead on developing my Ideas at their own pace (as long as there’s movement and I actually hit my deadlines). As long as the work gets done, that’s the main thing.

Of course the true goals for this year are to complete A Fatal Thirst, find an agent and sell the book; this is something that feels more possible now than it ever has before but at the same time I know I have to keep at it and not let myself off. In the words of Dark City, ‘No time off for good behaviour’. I know that if I succeed it doesn’t mean anything aside from I’m taking a gamble and hoping that I’m taking the first step on a road that I hope (pray) leads to the life I lead, but realistically without that first step I’m not even going to get on the road.

Second, I want to get out and meet more people, make more friends. I’m acutely aware that my social circle is quite small and there are times when I feel that quite keenly. I’m planning to capitalise on my strengths/areas of interest and set about meeting more geeks, writers, gamers, science fiction fans, Goths and Steampunks.

The problem is that I’m not very gregarious; large numbers of people intimidate me. I clam up, turn into a ghost. There are days, when it feels like the best description me and social situations is ‘if it looks like I’m laughing, I’m really just asking to leave’. I’m in awe of people like Sam Stone and Sarah Newton, who seem so effortless in their interactions with people.

This sounds like I’m giving up before I’ve even started and that’s something else I need to fix: I’m pretty sure being good with people is a skill (like almost everything is) and with practice I’ll get better, become more comfortable around people and *shock* maybe even start to enjoy being around large numbers of people.

My last resolution is simply to find a new job, and I think I’ll leave that one there.

I’ll let you know how I get on with them.

For the most part, I’m quietly, oddly, confident about this year. It may not go as planned but it feels right at the moment. I don’t seem to have the January blues (no time, no time). Small projects are being planned; the Transatlantic Project my poetry blog with Kirstin Steitz should start up early this month. I’m finishing short stories and have other irons in the fire (you can see them along the top; I’m creating pages as I go along). The two serials I’m writing will keep going, though Kingsford is going to undergo a bit of a format change; instead of one 3000 word entry a month, I’m going to break it down into three 1000 word entries and either take a rest week or put up something else. Owing to work commitments I’m giving the boys (and the fox) a break for January, they’ll be back early in February though. I may start to record the Angel Serial that appears in Cogzine, depending on how popular my other readings are.

Finally, I have the larger pieces of work to consider, Fatal Thirst, Crown of Clouds, UNSEEN and the work for my MA. That, along with socialising and gaming, should keep me out of trouble.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...