Skip to main content

Good News and a Glass Half Full

Okay, so this is the week that I got my last mark for my MA - I only did two modules this year, next year I'll do three, probably Screenwriting as my final option and then I'm into the compulsory modules of Reading Into Writing and the Dissertation, which I'm planning to do about fear and it's power.

For my Fiction mark I got a 62. It's dependent on the exam board but it means that I've got two marks in the 60s - so two commendations. As a result I'm starting to put very tentative feelers out about doing a PhD in English - I know what I'd want to do it on and I'm starting to think that I'd be quite good at it. I should be able to get fee waivers, so as long as I can line up work to pay the bills I think it's possible.

I'm hoping to hear good news on that front soon.

Today I've sent three stories off to see if I can get them published. Crows has gone to Corvus magazine (who published the Letter last year). I've sent Six Circlets to a magazine called Fantasy Short Stories, I hope the post apocalyptic flavour to the proceedings doesn't put them off. Lastly I've sent Whispers in the Flame to a magazine called New Myths. So I have my fingers and toes crossed that they'll all get published. A lot of my afternoon was spent reformatting Whispers and retouching some of the writing so hopefully I've made it into a stronger piece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...