Skip to main content

Grossed Out and Narked Off

I saw this on my friend Cara's blog (http://ohwedo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/grossed-out.html) and thought I'd throw together my own list. I'm not sure if these are things that really make me grossed out or just grumpy, but I think some of Cara's were possibly more in that vein than things that make her feel ill.

I've tried for nine, but in all honesty I found it a bit hard to get a full list, so I'm not sure what that says about me. So I ended up with 7.

1) Interrupting - This is something I just think is rude to be honest and it makes me really annoyed, especially if I'm trying to get a point across. There's a point where I just stop caring what the other person has to say because they can't actually give me the courtesy of letting me finish my sentence. This is one thing I like about media like email or letters, they allow me to say my piece and then respond to what other people say without being talked over and made to feel like my point was actually, uh, pointless.

2) Slugs - Oh I hate these things, I don't care if they're nature's marvels or the next species that'll ascend to top dog or whatever; they freak me out and make my skin crawl. I've had the misfortune to touch them in the past - usually by treading on them, though I did once manage to put my hand on one that was lingering on the clean crockery (yeuch).

3) "It's been done" - definitely one for the narked off box, the tendency of some people to dismiss stories and concepts as having been done before (with the inference being that you might as well not bother because what you're thinking about already exists). This misses the point of any creativity, which is to put forward something that exists from your perspective, which will render it different to what already exists by its very nature (if you do it right).

4) Political Tribalism - this might seem like an odd one but there's something about the 'true believer' that never fails to vex, especially if they won't even concede that there's an alternate point of view. This is annoying no matter what the other person's point of view is or their political, economic or social creed, because it's not about their creed but about their lack of willingness to listen and communicate.

5) 3D Cinema - Another strange one, but there's something about 3D that makes me feel ill a lot of the time.

Sorry, erm that's it. 

6) Zombies - Something I've grown to hate over the past few years. Partially this is because they've been everywhere and I'm tired of them and the memes they've gathered - the reality is that if zombies could exist (they can't by the way) the vast majority of us would not be tough little soldiers, we'd be dead. The other reason is that I can't quite shake the feeling that zombie fever is just another form of snobbery - nice middle class people don't turn zombies, only poor people do that. 

7) Medical Stuff - doesn't matter what it is really (though my levels of squeamishness vary vastly depending on what the medical thing is), by and large if there's a medical thing that's going on I'm likely to feel physically sick. I've always been wired like this, one of my memories of school is the world taking on a green tinge because we were learning about the respiratory system and I felt sick and wobbly. Later, when I started dating Eve we visited the Natural History Museum's human biology section and I had a similar episode when we got to the bit about the brain.

Comments

  1. You know Steve, this post has been done before ;-) I am with you on the slugs. Another Mum was telling me last night that her young daughter chewed up a slug and then spat it out on the carpet in bits! Bleurgh. I had to have a shower after I touched one while gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, guilty as charged. I'm a shocking plagiarist (given that I even reference your post). :)

    Ew that's horrid, the worst of it for me is that the baby ones seem to get picked up by the cats on their coats and transported indoors, so we get them brought in that way as well as having them crawl through the gaps about the door (something that copper tape has sort of helped with but we still get them) *shudder*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...