Skip to main content

Something Positive: January So Far

One of the things I wanted to do this year was record the good things that happen, rather than just the bad ones. That way I hope to have a list of good experiences I can look back at and know that things aren't as horrible as they sometimes seem.

The past couple of weeks have been quite rough; January isn't the kindest month and with work, study and everything else it's felt like the mountain path has all but disappeared recently, leaving me with just sheer cliff face to navigate (and no crampons). Nonetheless there have been a few good things going on too. I got to spend the book tokens I got for Yule and that meant picking up seven brilliant books, which I'm really looking forward to reading. I ordered a copy of the Sea Watch by Adrian Tchaikovsky - it seems to be the red headed stepchild of his series, Waterstones had pretty much every other book by him, but Sea Watch has been conspicuous by its absence. The seller told me it would take six weeks to come in, but it only took two! So hats off to them for getting it in so fast.

Also, the guy on the cover looks a little like the author... which is brilliant.

Also book related, I keep finding science fiction and fantasy geeks at work, which is great! One of the very few people who have read Fatal Thirst fed back to me, and really enjoyed it so I'm doing something right (phew) and I grabbed the first of a Brandon Sanderson series on the recommendation of another. I got a piece written for a competition and got some good feedback on that too. And to cap it all I've started making moves to find the 'what I do after the MA' by looking at the Creative Choices site and talking to the careers officer for the faculty I'm studying with at Uni.

I submitted my coursework on the 8th of January and my tutor seems confident I'll pass. I'm not, as I struggled with the module a fair amount, but on the plus side a lot of the reading will be beneficial for my final project because that ties into the world of myth and legend too, so I hope I've stolen a bit of a march there.

The third good thing is finding out that a lot of the RPGs I had marked to get rid of because there wasn't a chance of playing them I can now keep, because I'm between groups and all the things I like are suddenly open again. It's a weird feeling but a positive one and I've rescued quite a lot of stuff from the pile that's destined for eBay.

Oh and I've been really enjoying Skyrim (even if I'm playing it too much).

Right, I must go and write. My novel won't create itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...