Skip to main content

Review: Last Call by Tim Powers



Las Vegas is a strange city from all accounts. A place of dreams with little reality underneath, where tourists are disorientated by the fact the hotels cut them off from the outside world, the tables never close and the windows don't open wide enough for the man who's lost everything to jump.

This is the world Last Call inhabits, a world of gambling, obsession and magic. The protagonist is Scott Crane, a gambler who hasn't played poker for 20 years, after losing badly at an occult game called Assumption in '69. As he is dragged back into the shady world ruled by the stranger end of probability and cards his life, already breaking, falls apart completely.

Obsession is the key to the novel; every character from the hitmen chasing Crane to the gamblers who inhabit the world he's forced into and beyond is touched somehow, broken by their obsessions and their connections to the strange otherworld that hides under mainstream Americana. Powers makes no bones about how insidious the world under the mainstream is, we see it reach out to little boys and infect ordinary life far too easily. We see inventive uses of magical power, the way cigarette smoke pools during a card game becomes mystical for instance, as does the way cards are dealt. Poker hands become ways to describe people's souls, places become part of people; water becomes 'tamed'.

The other side of this is that magic does not just come from the cards or obsessions, the book links back to older ideas, exploring the meaning of the tarot and how it connects to ideas of pre-Christian divinity. In particular Last Call takes the idea of the moon goddess very seriously, presenting invocations of Isis and her sister goddesses as being the necessary way to change the situation in the city. As women compete for the moon goddess' power they clash with powers as terrible and restrictive as those wielded by the obsessive gamblers, being forced to adopt an archetype and the strictures it brings.

Powers' worlds are always deep and strange and the one in Last Call is no different. This is not an easy book to get into, the style is thick and fast and Powers makes little attempt to slow the pace to appeal to the casual reader. He seems to have an obsession with waves and crystallisation, something that appears in The Stress of Her Regard and Declare as well as Last Call (enough to make me wonder if one day a connecting novel would be possible). He plays this obsession well though, using it in interesting ways as the plot progresses; tying to it patterns and symbols.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...