Skip to main content

What I did on my Holidays

Last week Eve and I went on a break down to Kingston Upon Thames, partly because we had not been away for a while and in part because I wanted to go away as a treat for finishing the MA. There were things we wanted to see in London and also wanted to head down to Brighton to see the Pavilion and meet up with a couple of friends. We did not get as much done as we wanted, because of Eve's joints and because of travel times and the weather (November is not a month to go vacationing if you want sunshine, no matter what lies the end of October tells).

The first thing we went to was the British Library's Gothic exhibition (you can find it here). It traces Gothic from the very beginning to the modern day, with a strong focus on the original works and how the genre has changed over the centuries. It is stunningly put together, with loads of nice bits and some great film clips to illustrate the changing face of the Gothic. There was perhaps less of a focus on the work I'm most familiar with, writers like Poppy Z Brite and Storm Constantine weren't mentioned and there was no consideration of Gothic comics like Sandman (though your man Gaiman was not only mentioned but had been interviewed for the exhibition). There was a tiny bit about Goth subculture but that really amounted to some pictures from Whitby. Despite this I'd recommend going, if you're a fan of the dark and mysterious.

We had hoped to go to Highgate Cemetery, to take the tour of the West Cemetery and see Egyptian Walk, but we did not have time in the end. Its something to do next time though, along with popping along to see Karl, the only Marx not to do comedy.

In the evening we went to see Mr Turner and thoroughly enjoyed it. Timothy Spall was great, as were the other members of the cast.

The next day we headed down to Brighton. We're both slightly in love with the place and would love to move down there - but I think that's a pretty common feeling. We had been before, for FantasyCon in 2010 but had not managed to get to the Pavilion and it has been on our 'hit list' ever since. Outside the Pavilion is beautiful, a real standalone piece of architecture. Inside its mad and beautiful, full of Chinese inspired prints and designs, and surprisingly dark because of all the steps they have to take to protect the colours. I really liked the dragon statues and designs, the place is chock full of them and they're all beautiful.

The rest of the day was spent pottering about the city, we meant to go to the Lanes but because Eve was on the hunt for something from Dorothy Perkins we ended up at the big shopping centre instead. Fortunately we found what she wanted and more beside and next time we're going to spend a lot of time checking out the smaller, more boutiquey, shops.

Sadly we didn't get to see our friends in the end, one had succumbed to the dreaded lurgy and the other to a sudden need to move house. Again, next time we're down we're going to catch up with them.

Wednesday we came home, ditching our plans to go to the Horniman Museum in favour of getting home while it was light.

Still, good trip and a nice few days away.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...