Skip to main content

Fairytales For Boys

The fairy tale is one the bedrocks of western culture. Cautionary tales of wonder and delight, they were created, and eventually written down, to provide moral or simple lessons to live your life by and became of particularly significance for the education and socialisation of children in the early Nineteenth Century. They are about more than just entertainment, but imparted disguised wisdom and common sense.

The Grimms and Hans Christian Anderson twisted their purpose a little, to make them fit the aspirant middle classes and the gender roles of the Nineteenth Century, which were becoming steadily more separate as women were pushed into the home and men became the principle bread winners. In Jack Zipes' Fairytale and the Art of Subversion, he notes that in just two years, 1810 and 1812, Snow White goes from simply having to tend the Dwarves' house to keep her place there, to a long list of chores and the threat of punishment for failing to do so, for example. This was a trend that largely continued up to the end of the Victorian period, though elements of it have never quite disappeared; they crop up frequently in early Disney films for example, and are part of what caused the German Democratic Republic to create The Singing Ringing Tree in the 1950s.

Others kicked back against it too, Angela Carter famously created The Bloody Chamber, a feminist reading of the stories, which spawned Company of Wolves in the 1980s. This opened  the gates to other interpretations, a trend that continues to this day. Horror writers have become keen to reinvent the form, embracing its darker side; returning it to what they see as its roots. While the original stories were certainly darker than the saccharine versions dreamt up by writers convinced they were only fit to be read by children, who must be protected from the rigours of the outside, grown up, world I am unsure that modern authors can recreate the originals with any success. Our culture is inured to horror, to an extent, and we go further even than children baked into pies or girls devoured by wolves. You only have to look at Saw and other slasher films to see that.

But while there have been developments, there has also been a backlash, possibly an unconscious one. The fairy tale has become increasingly associated with one market: teenage girls. The Hollywood blockbuster machine has created and recreated Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Red Riding Hood so many times that it's almost hard to believe that other stories exist. They tread the familiar boards too, there's nary a hint of the idea that 'if there's a beast in man, there's a beast in woman too' that Carter espoused. No, woman has become again the holder of civilisation, the tamer of the savage beasts and men.I suspect that this is because Hollywood is incredibly conservative, relaunching franchises is safer than expanding their repertoire: everything boils down to money, Given how expensive films are to create, it's hardly a surprise. They make what sells and part of the rise of the fairy tale, in this form, is that it gets bums on seats. The core of the story, even sexed up for an all too knowing generation, remains the same.

What's interesting is how focused on girls and young women things have become. Nobody is suggesting making a film of The Boy who Learned to Shiver, or The Tinderbox; fairy tales are for girls. Marina Warner's Fairy Tale: A Short History, notes that in the last thirty years the form has become more and more focused on the female, to the extent nothing is aimed at boys at all. I admit this saddens me, I like Fairy Tales and think they're quite magical. One of my favourite poems is Neil Gaiman's Instructions; Company of Wolves gets a regular viewing at our house.

This begs the question, what do boys have now that fills this gap? I know there's a wide range of media that's targeted at young males, from Saturday morning cartoons to superhero films. I'm aware too, that girls and young women are more than happy to claim them for their own, and without the unfortunate overtones that have accompanied young men adopting My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I'm not going to judge either group; fair play to them if that's what gets them through the day. My concern though, is that the things that fairy tales teach are perhaps missing from boys' lives now. Does  a superhero film fill the same space that the fairy tale does? It might teach about being resourceful, about standing up to bad things, even about realising when something is a monster that needs to be defeated; having seen Antman recently, I think those themes are present within that film, so are they simply repackaged for a world where boys largely view fantasy with suspicion?

What concerns me here, is that at the end of the day the solutions in superhero films boil down to violence, to hitting and punching until your problem is defeated. They are no more revolutionary than the fairy tale films. Both genres are serving to further the socialisation process begun by the Grimms. Add to that a culture that increasingly embraces toxic masculinity and femininity, whether that's pink everything or boys clothing that glamourises violence and war and it seems as if the split between the sexes is growing larger and more pronounced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...