Skip to main content

Social Media

So, what I intended to blog about today was social media, but the Trump victory sort of sidelined me. What I wanted to talk about is why I've taken a break from social media, apart from this blog, and why I'm thinking about keeping that way.

And here we are, a week later... (yes I'm that efficient, lol).

To begin with, a small confession, when I do use Facebook, I find that I use it all the time and its hard to keep away from the site. I'm one of those users who keeps checking their feed, posts loads of stuff and often use it as a sort of 'dump my emotions' when I'm feeling low. I also use it as a lab, to discuss issues that are bugging me, whether that's something to do with the real world or just a writing problem. I find it hard to detach from the site, in a way that I don't with Twitter or Google Plus (though I do sort of prefer G+ because it's much more laid back). 

Perhaps it's because of this that I also find it stressful, Facebook pokes my anxiety, often very hard. It makes my feelings of isolation increase too, not just because of the algorithms that means that you only see certain stories, which have already been connected to feelings of depression in studies. I also find it alienating to see a feed that's full of loads of stuff I simply don't care about (Game of Thrones, Star Wars and so on) or memes that are just, from my perspective, moronic. It doesn't help that the things I am passionate about frequently slide off into the darkness, if I post about them. It shouldn't matter but it makes me feel as if my likes and dislikes are somehow less valid than what the mainstream is pushing. It feels as if all the brilliant book series, or anime shows that really pop my socks off are terrible and at times as if I'm wrong for liking them. It's stupid and I know that, but at times it just feels as if I'm staring at a wall of things I don't care about, with people who are more interested in what's cool than what's interesting. It feels as if what we have managed to create in social media is less a place for discussion and communication and more a playground where things are cool and cliques hang around together, all agreeing with each other.

It feels hard to get a good philosophical debate online these days, everyone is so entrenched and its sad that Facebook is actually encouraging that but creating data bubbles. I'm concerned that this is one of the things creating a distorted sense of our world, along with the fake news stories that get passed around. There are also issues around communicating online, where our reliance on body language and facial expression as well as tone of voice, are wrenched away, leaving only words. Is it any wonder we take things out of context?

I'm not sure how we fix this, only that we must. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...