Skip to main content

Review: Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2

I went to see this film at the Electric Cinema yesterday, and it was good.

Let me tell you how good.


A lot Marvel's films are quite disappointing because they manage to either feel very repetitive or as if something has been lost in the transition to the screen, or because they dally in meaningless debates about the world's reaction to the sudden introduction of super powered beings (while never really amping up the threat level that we see in the comics universe). Guardians manages to dodge that bullet, however. In part that may be because the sandbox James Gunn has to play in is so much bigger than the conventional MCU, there are so many threats and characters he can play with because space is so big in the Marvel universe. With literally thousands of stories and characters to play with Gunn's most daunting task, I think, is finding what will work on screen and what has actual resonance. The wonderful thing is that you can feel his love for the property, and all the weirdness, flowing out of the screen. Believe me, there's a lot of love in this movie and it's there from the very start. I can honestly say the team won me from the very start and the amazing opening sequence that manages to be both a call back to the first film and to set the new status quo.

The film's plot straddles the line we had established at the end of the first film, with the Guardians doing a little bit of good and a bit of bad. Unsurprisingly that last bites them on the butt and sets the stage for the rest of the movie, leading to other characters becoming involved as a new group of aliens, The Sovereign, seek revenge for something the Guardians did. This allows Gunn to do some world building, expanding the Ravagers' role in the universe and introducing new captains to go alongside Yondu. As a fan of the Guardians' comics from the 1990s I adored the introduction of these characters, because they are the characters I grew up with (and one of the scenes in the credits really made me happy).

Characters are greatly expanded upon as well, we learn a lot about Yondu and the Guardians' themselves are fleshed out more and their relationships are particularly focused upon. Drax, for example, is allowed to show a different side to the brooding, vengeance obsessed straight man from the first film, though he is still socially awkward to the extreme. At the same time Gamorra and Nebula's relationship gets some serious expansion as we learn more about their past as Thanos' children. And of course there's a lot of focus on Peter's relationships, not just with Ego (who, obviously, is revealed to be his father - that's not a spoiler right?) but with his crew mates and Yondu as well.

Visually, the film is everything you expect from something owned by the House of Mouse. It's beautiful and often has the look and feel of something from SF classics (Ego's planet reminded me of Roger Dean's paintings for some reason, which feels pretty apt really). The Sovereign world is a study in order and serenity, Ego's world a paradise that looks too good to be true, while the forest world they crash the Milano on is dark, teeming chaos. The universe often has a pleasingly grubby demeanor. Outside of the gleaming pockets of order and future tech the clothes are dull tones (with 'Ravager red' being reminiscent of the hues Farscape was so fond of) and the technology being big and bulky. The sort of spaceships that would be graceless in an atmosphere dominate battle with tiny, zippy fighters (reminiscent in their own way with the Nova Corps ships in the last film).

The easter eggs go far beyond the references to the comics, though. Eve observed that part of the end was similar to Return of the Jedi's funeral scene. I'm sure there are far too many references for me to catch, though I imagine that fans are already working hard to compile a definitive list.

Family, and the importance of emotion, are at the heart of this film, just as they were at the heart of the first one. Gunn plays with extremes here, from one group that 'manufacture' their new citizens through genetic engineering to Ego's more sinister purpose for seeking out Peter. In the middle, of course, is the dysfunctional family that is the Guardians, with their constant squabbling and attempts at one up man ship.  Even here there's a lot of love though, and the feeling that Rocket and Groot may just be the secret protagonists, both of them putting the humanoid characters in the shade and given specific chances to shine. Baby Groot is an angry little thing, constantly fighting and rampaging through the movie, beating up anything he can, while Rocket's own aggression has a scalpel taken to it in one of the most touching scenes in the film which reveals the heart of two characters.

All this is delivered with humour and grace, and the film has what is probably my favourite Stan Lee cameo, probably his last as he's said that he won't do anymore and which directly addresses a fan theory that he's actually been the Watcher all along. It's funny, fast paced and... gods I can't believe I'm saying, kickass underlying the idea that the team are BAMFs. The fight scenes are wonderfully choreographed and the twists and turns are reminiscent of Pirates of the Caribbean at its finest.  The soundtrack works perfectly, too, seemlessly complimenting the action.

I urge you to go and see the film. You won't regret it.

It's the best Marvel film so far, bar none.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...