Skip to main content

Face Centric

 One thing that seems very obvious to me is that humans are just apes with an inflated sense of worth. In part, that's because I currently live with a baby and am struggling to see how anyone could have doubted the monkey nature of the species. At around 17 months, the baby is pure monkey, right down to the noises she makes and how she tries to sit. That won't surprise any modern parents, but as a childless (by choice) person it came as quite a revelation to me. Beyond that - well, I find myself baffled by the refutation of Darwin's theories around evolution and can only assume that Christian doctrine was deeply ingrained and that the people who disputed it either didn't know very much about children, or very much about monkeys. Frankly, both those options seem quite likely. 

It made me think about human consciousness and the way our intelligence works, which seems to me to be intrinsically tied to our troupe nature and our dependence on being part of a group. Even today, we are troupe primates, with an upper limit on the number of people we can interact with before we start to become uncomfortable. This tends to range from 80 to 200 individuals, and there's no doubt that we're nicer about policing our troupe sizes than most of our closest relations in the animal kingdom. Groups of chimpanzees and baboons have rigid group sizes, and operate on a frequently violent one in one out regime. Coupled with the fact that social status, or face, is very important to them, it's obvious that for our kind of mammal, harmony with others, and adapting to fit into a society is of prime importance. So, it would follow that our intelligence is more focused on empathy and understanding emotions than it is perhaps for solving problems. It may also account for our tendency to mimick others - its a survival trait that has also allowed us to pick up tricks from across the animal kingdom. 

For example, we have evidence of crows learning to raise the level of water from square one.


How likely is it that our ancestors saw that, or at least something very similar, and copied it? I don't say that to suggest we aren't clever as fuck as a species - we clearly are or the world wouldn't be in the mess it currently is - but that our nature is tied to others and their actions and emotions. This being said, our brains have three discrete parts, and there are definitely times when those clash, and we're nowhere as rational as we claim. If our ancestors hadn't developed ways to preserve knowledge, I suspect we wouldn't be far off the starting point we see with crows. At the same time, we can see the difficulty a lot of humans have in absorbing information from books, preferring to learn from other people. 

A human face is frequently a shortcut to bypass our logic and reason. It's so important, in face, that a university test found that people are more likely to donate money to charity if there's a picture of a face behind the collection tin than if there are flowers. The idea of being seen, and judged for our actions, influences our behaviour profoundly. Small wonder advertisers use popular celebrities to sell products, while the CEOs behind the world's biggest companies are frequently almost anonymous. I firmly believe the Panama and Paradise Papers news stories in part sank without trace because there weren't many faces we could attach to them. In a similar way, I think we have in part been so slow to react to the climate crisis because hitherto there haven't been many faces we can attach to them, and those that we could have been compromised by other narratives as the different levels of our brains have clashed. 

More tellingly, I think that this is the origin of gods - a belief that a bigger version of us somehow created the world and set things in motion, and bigger human who could be appealed to when things were difficult and were sometimes kind. As we're so focused on others it makes sense that we would create something to fill that role. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...