Skip to main content

Reflections

 Hi,

I find myself thinking about what I want, and what I’m scared of, a lot at the moment. Part of that is where I’m working out myself – getting in touch with who I was when I was young, asking myself the question who I want to be now. I feel privileged that I can take a step back and look at myself to do that and it feels a little like going through a sort of adolescence albeit one that’s a lot more mindful and considered.

Last night, at therapy, I realised I’m scared of being overwhelmed in relationships and that my boundaries aren’t particularly robust. I’m scared that I’ll end up setting myself and my needs to one side because they won’t feel appropriate. I feel as if I’ve learned that in order to be good partner, I must sacrifice myself and have no boundaries. That you nod and smile and do the things you want when your partner is busy – which now that I think about it is what my Mum did when I was a kid, so that’s part of the reason I do it, probably. The other aspect is rooted in crappy self-esteem and the way that for a long time I didn’t think what I wanted was worth anything.

Right now, given that all I want most is simply to be me, it’s my driving goal at present, to the extent that I would take being just me over being part of any gender, race, class, faith, or sexuality etc: this is something that’s important to me. I find myself particularly worried that in a relationship I would fall afoul of old, bad, habits – by which I mean I would just go with the flow and lose myself, becoming inert or supine. And I really don’t want that.

One thing I’ve learned from being alone is that I actually like myself, and I don’t think I’m defective or too weird… if anything I’m the right amount of weird and I’m waiting for other people to catch up. I’m proud that I don’t see the world quite the same way as other people and realise that I’ve worked hard to achieve that by educating myself and following my passions. These things make me happy, make me feel more myself. I take that as positive.

I did, however, observe that when I was dating someone at Christmas, the element of … Eros I suppose, swept that away and I feel uncomfortable with that. Consequently, I find myself wanting to skip that emotional madness in favour of something more level-headed. I know that’s not realistic, but it doesn’t stop me wanting something where I don’t lose my common sense because someone’s expressed an interest in me. I feel much more wary of that giddy feeling and at the very least I want to be able to sit down and have a serious discussion about boundaries and limits – even if the relationship is vanilla (because a lot of this stuff is vanilla – things like needing my own space, needing to have the space and time to create, the fact that I won’t watch telly unless I’m really interested, and that I want at least one cat). It’s a matter of reaching a point where I feel comfortable enough to both feel that rush of love/attraction and feel that sitting down to talk quite honestly (and almost in a way that means negotiating the relationship) is possible. And I want those conversations, those discussions, because I want to establish a space for mutual harmonious coexistence between me and whoever. My experience hitherto has been quite organic – those conversations even haven’t happened, or I’ve nodded and smiled and gone along with stuff because I felt the most important thing was pleasing others.

I no longer feel like that. That’s another advantage of being alone at present. For one thing, it’s only when you’re alone you find out who you are. Otherwise, you’re being constantly told who other people think you are, and it gets confusing because you’re constantly subjected to contrary visions of yourself. I’m grateful for this chance to reflect and grow. It’s just that I do have a fear that I’ll become undone, and I’m determined not to let it happen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...