Skip to main content

Christianity And Mental Health

 Like many people in the UK, I was raised a Christian, but unlike many people - for whom it seems the faith sort of ebbs to a low level of 'acceptable bullshit' to be considered only at Christmas and Easter, or for weddings, funerals, and baptism, I confess I have a strong dislike for it. Part of that was that I came to reject monotheism as a result of my upbringing - having a single deity that's responsible for everything seems ridiculous to me, especially when you look at the number of Saints - the Christian God isn't ruling alone, he just has a large bureaucracy. He's basically the CEO who claims all the credit for his subordinates' work. In addition, owing to other elements in my childhood, I came to reject male authority, and I still struggle with it at times. The idea that the central, and according to my parents the only real, authority, was male coded did little to endear the faith to me. I should stress that I was raised in a broad church Church of England parish, and though I attended a Catholic school, I wasn't sexually abused in any way. 



Most recently, the thing that's earned my ire came from a conversation with my mother who attributed anxiety to "dark forces" that make one doubt oneself. Now, I make no secret of my history of mental health issues. I have depression and anxiety and suspect that I also have an element of PTSD. I attribute a lot of this to the verbal abuse I received as a child from my father, and to the bullying other children "gifted" me with at school. Apparently, I first exhibited signs of depression at the age of 9, but as that was in the 1980s nothing was done apart from to move me to a different school. Don't get me wrong, I was very lucky to be able to move schools, and I am blessed in the fact that my mental health difficulties are limited to the things that I mentioned above. I'm also blessed that the cause of them are "only" verbal abuse, bullying, and childhood emotional neglect from both my parents. Admittedly, now that I'm in my 40s I'm also pretty steamed that my parents haven't once encouraged me to use my strengths, only my weaknesses, in life but at that point I acknowledge that they were abused and neglected and it probably isn't something they're actually capable of doing. Man hands down misery to man and all that stuff. 

The first thing that irks me about this idea that "dark forces" are responsible for mental health issues is that it ignores the impact of abuse, of whatever sort, and blames the victim for the problems they have. It implies that people who have been through trauma are suffering because they don't believe enough or don't pray enough, placing the responsibility on their shoulders. I find that abhorrent because it makes no attempt to understand the issues that caused the mental health issues in the first place as well as blaming people who are already suffering for the problems they encounter. It seems a long way away from the compassionate religion Christianity purports today - in fact it's almost Mediaeval in it's approach to mental health. In fact, this confusion of mental health with "spiritual warfare" not only dismisses mental health as a legitimate concern but plays into a dangerous situation where it shouldn't be treated as a medical problem but by compounding the trauma through things like exorcisms. Again I don't believe that's helpful. 



The other element is that I ask myself how this situation is just. If you're blaming the trauma on the people suffering it then it stands to reason you're not looking for what caused that trauma. That means you're letting somebody off and creating a situation where predators can thrive. We already know about the problems besetting the Catholic Church where their own predators are concerned - that's a scandal that seems to repeat itself with alarming regularity and has done a worryingly large amount of damage to innocent people. While I can understand that for many Christians its natural to believe that the guilty will be judged after death to the rest of us it looks like a not so benign neglect and as if the people on the sharp end aren't just being failed by the church that has enabled their abuse but by a creed that says that suffering is necessary to enter the Kingdom of God. Again, this seems to suggest that neglecting mental health problems is a necessary thing rather than embracing the idea that as living beings we all deserve care and attention. It feels a little like therapist Kati Morton's video on "problematic" words which highlights that we all deserve attention and to be listened to but that frequently that's ignored. It feels to me as if this attitude runs all the way through Christianity with its focus on authority descending from the top. It fits with patriarchy and the way that the wants and needs of old men are given priority over the rest of us.  

The whole situation is sad and infuriating. It feels deeply unfair and as if it can only be added to the inhumanity the Christian faith has come to embody. Yes, it manages to feed the hungry and clothe the poor, but the fact that it defines want in such basic terms feels to me as if it is caught in the past and it needs to go back to brass tacks. I'm sure many individual churches do, in the same way there are ministries that welcome LGBTQQIAA people. I just wish that instead of focusing on the idea of faith being the cure to all problems the religion was trying to get more of it's followers into therapy, to actually address the issues plaguing them. At present, when we consider that we were seeing a spike in diagnoses of depression and anxiety even before the pandemic (some stats), it feels as if the faith's response to something like a broken leg should be to "pray" not to see a Doctor. This doesn't help and needs to change, as our general attitudes towards mental health do. 

That's pretty much all I have to say, but I want to end this on a more positive note. If you've come here because you have mental health issues then I want to say that you are enough, you are valid, and you are needed here. I also want to encourage you to get the help you need, if you're ready to do that, and to say that you are worthy of that help. Whatever happened to you in the past, it wasn't your fault and it's okay to forgive yourself for what happened. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but I know I blamed myself for what happened to me and I know it's a pretty common thing. 

If you're a Christian who's stopped by... what can I say? I'm not a fellow traveller, I don't embrace your creed, and I think there are some serious issues within your faith that current politics really aren't helping. I want to ask you to be part of the change the world needs. To set aside the ball and chain your faith is pulling behind it, and embrace the things we're learning about mental health. Seek justice and realise that the circumstances that create these often debilitating conditions don't come from nowhere. I know that's hard to hear that, but it's true. Please, be kind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...