Skip to main content

April, Progress, Films and Life In General

 Hi, 

I thought I'd try to inject a bit more of me into the blog... I mean that's sort of what this is about, or so I'm told. While I've really enjoyed creating Scion characters and rediscovering old D&D characters for the blog, I'm conscious that I'm not really maximising the potential of this thing. So, life update! 

Dun, dun, durrrr!!!! 

I... had a couple of dates (yes, I'm as surprised as you are!) which was lovely. In the end I decided there wasn't enough there to keep seeing the person involved and too many pale pink flags - as it were - but it was lovely and the kissing (yes we did that) was amazing. (Kissing always is).  

I feel as if its a bit of a testimony to how far I've come in therapy because I didn't really feel the need to keep seeing her and could identify the problematic areas and decide not to stay with her for the sake of making her happy. I'm sure she'd make a great partner for someone else, but it wouldn't have been right for me, especially in the long term.

Outside of that, it's been the usual whirl of therapy, work, writing, mingled with a little bit of socialising and going on adventures. More adventures than usual, if I'm honest.

At the very start of the month, I met up with a friend, Herbert Wolverson, and his family because they were over from Missouri for a visit/work. It was really nice though the weather was against us (April in the UK means changeable and unpredictable weather) so we went to the Oceanarium. Everyone enjoyed themselves, we watched the otters being fed and their daughter was fascinated with pretty much everything (though the huge piranhas near the start were a bit scary). I think the highlight, for her, was the climbing frame because she's at the "there is a thing, I must climb it" stage. Eventually, we ended up at Zizzi and had a nice meal. All in all, it was a brilliant day (thank you guys, it was great to see you!).

I went up to see my parents that week, which was a sobering experience because of how much my Dad's dementia has affected him. The man who raised me isn't really there anymore and he seems like a nicer person for it - which feels like a shocking thing to write. I feel like he's fallen out of the human world and into the natural one. His interest and delight in things like plants and birds is so profound it reminds me of a child, which is surprisingly hard given he's 30 years older than I am. My Mum is struggling with it, and with her hearing going it's getting tougher. 

Dad's sight seems to be almost gone, and he's deaf as a post. I worry he's going to end up locked inside himself with no ability to communicate with the outside world. My Granny had Alzheimer's at the end, and there was a moment when I looked across at him and saw her in the way he was sitting. Thank goodness Mum got him a cat, who clearly adores him (she is a naughty, haughty, Tortie, after all).

I stayed at my friend Angela's house while I was up there and it really confirmed how much I like her and what good taste she has. Her home is lovely and she has a delightful border collie (who gave me dog kisses... not as good as human kisses but very sweet). On Friday we went for a long walk with him and stopped out for lunch, then went to see the 2nd Dune film in the evening.

The dog didn't come to that - I think he struggles to sit through long films. 

The film's really good, though it felt strange that it didn't really end the story and felt like there was a clear set up to a third. Given that the novel ends with Paul becoming Emperor, I can only assume they're going to "knock through" to incorporate parts of another of the books for film 3. I did feel the film felt a bit more "magic native" than the book - and I still think it was a very brave choice to film Dune at all given its central themes are environmental and it basically casts a group like the Mujahedeen in a heroic light.

Late to the party, but has anyone thought about how amazing the graphic design for the Dune logo is? That "Dune" is just amazing and fits the property so well. I really like it. 


Connected to Dune, I attended my first opportunity to be opinionated about a science fiction novel in person... sorry book group at the start of April. It's something that's been on my bucket list for a while, strange as that sounds and I finally bit the bullet and joined up. We talked about Dune, its legacy, the cartoonish nature of the villains, and all that sort of thing. It was fun. Next... week we're doing the same but for The Turn Of The Screw, which should be excellent. 

After that adventure, things sort of went back to normal, if I'm honest. I chatted a bit with someone on OK Cupid, but she was in Skegness so... I didn't really think it had a future (I know long-distance relationships are a thing but at the same time I worry that falling for someone who lives so far away is basically limerence). 

My autism assessment paperwork has been sent to a private provider and I'm waiting to hear when assessments will happen. My therapist has been in touch with them, so we'll see what happens there. 

Writing-wise, I've been plodding away at a couple of things - trying to get a roleplaying setting that is mine, mine, all mine(!) sorted out and finishing Shadows of the Past which has grown from a short story into a novella. I think it could become a novel if I let it. Honestly, I just want it done and to get it published in Wattpad. 

I had to have a word with one of my players because his behaviour was causing some issues. He was very apologetic so hopefully, it's sorted out. It does, however, sort of point to one reason why I want my own setting, designed and built by me because one of the things this guy does is get hung up about canon and I'd really like something where that's been agreed upon as a group or where I can set the canon. I know a lot of players don't want to help build settings but I'd really like to do something that involves doing that. I think that's partly because if I want to do something on my own, I'll write a book - gaming for me is much more about the to and fro of information, it's a conversation with dice rolling. 

The rest of the month will be work and then volunteering at Bournemouth Writing Festival. Beyond that, we'll see what happens. 

There'll be some stuff about Scion at the weekend - collating the Band of characters, and I'll try to write something else during the week. 

Until then, I hope you're doing well and wish you good mental health and contentment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...