Skip to main content

Werewolf: the Apocalypse: Gifts of the Night

 Gifts are an important part of Werewolf: the Apocalypse, and are basically the way that the Garou get their powers. They represent the spiritual strength the werewolves bring to bear in their endless war against the Wyrm. As such they're part of the Garou's link with Gaia and nature and to the spirits of the Umbra. This embeds the link to the spirit world deeply into the game, because without it the werewolves would be shorn of their magic. The themes of the game would also be seriously affected, but let's not get into that. 


Today I want to look at the best Gifts and Rites for starting Rank 1 characters (or Cliaths if you want to use the nomenclature in the game), even though that's highly subjective. I always think part of a Storyteller's job is to make sure his players feel useful and can affect the course of the game. If you want to write a novel, go do that. Nonetheless, there are always a few options that can help the game get off on the right paw and these Gifts and Rites can be really helpful for that. Of course, there are probably hundreds, if not more, Gifts in the core book, so I'm barely scratching the surface of what's possible. Still, I hope this will prove useful for you. I'll be drawing the information from Werewolf 20th Edition and will leave page references for your convenience. 

1) Hulk No More: One of the problems with being a shape changer is that you can go through an awful lot of clothes. It's a little like the Hulk in the comics, all ripped topped and jeans. The Rite of Talisman Dedication (page 211) allow you you escape this problem, by Dedicating or binding clothes and mundane items to you instead them being torn asunder when you transform. The other advantage of the Dedication rite is that it allows characters to keep their non-magical gear with them when they enter the Umbra. 


2) Stinky!: Sense Wyrm (page 156), which I mentioned in last week's Werewolf blog is a hugely useful Gift. It allows the Garou to sense the Wyrm's taint in the area. This involves a mystical sense rather than anything physical, though the werewolves refer to the Wyrm's presence as "stench". The Gift is a general one, and shouldn't be taken as a substitute for solid detective work, but it's a powerful tool to have in your kit. 

3) Healing Hands: Mother's Touch (page164) is a Theurge Gift taught by a bear or unicorn spirit and allows the character to heal the wounds of any living creature, including aggravated damage. This, obviously, is very useful for any group of shape changing murder mutts who can tear their way through their enemies, but may also receive deadly wounds from other sources (such as silver bullets). 

4) Rip Rip Rend Tear: The Ahroun Gift Razor Claws (page 171) is a must for someone who wants to deal a lot of damage. The in game fiction aspect of  the Gift says that your character hones their claws to razor sharpness by raking them over rocks, steel, or some other hard surface. Whatever you choose to do, the effect is to grant two extra damage dice on claw attacks and reduce the difficulty by one for the rest of the scene (though you do have to spend a turn sharpening your claws). 

5) A Nose For Trouble: Being able to work out what other supernatural beings are in the area is always useful. Scent of True Form (page 166) is a Philodox Gift that allows the werewolf to scent the truth about those they meet. They can always sniff out Kinfolk and werewolves automatically, including those who haven't made the First Change. To sense other beings, the player will have to roll dice and it's at 2 successes and higher that things become interesting because this allows the Garou to start detecting other supernatural beings.

6) Appraisal: Come back, I don't mean a work appraisal! It's okay, nobody's going to tell you off for talking too much. No, I'm talking about the Red Talon Gift, Eye of the Hunter (page 185) which allows the character to assess a group of antagonists and determine the weakest, just like a wolf appraising a pack. How cool is that? Combined with Razor Claws, it would definitely allow you to create an effective strategy for battle. 

7) Quietly Does It: The Silent Striders are an amazing Tribe, easily one of my favourites. Their Gift Silence (page 191) allows them to sneak up on, or escape, enemies by muffling any sound they make. That allows them to be even more like ninjas, which seems to fit their ethos of being the Tribe that operates more independently than the others. 

8) Squeaky Clean: Moving the focus back to Rites, I think the Rite of Cleansing (page 203/204) is a really important one, and should be in most Rite Master's arsenals. It allows the characters to purify a place, person, or object so that it can be used without fear of Wyrm-taint. This allows players to access a non-violent way of solving problems - albeit on a very small scale.  

I like it because Werewolf can be so overshadowed by the promise of violence, and having peaceful methods to resolve things is a tonic to the ability to destroy so much with those razor sharp claws. I realise that 's a bit contradictory with my raving about the Razor Claws Gift, but I like characters being able to do their thing effectively and to see alternative solutions on the table. 

These are just a few examples of how starting Gifts and Rites can shape your gameplay. What are your favourites? Do you lean toward battle-ready Gifts or the more investigative and spiritual ones? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...