Skip to main content

Snapshot

 Hi,

Photo by Mira Kemppainen on Unsplash
It's been a while, hasn't it? Not since I posted -  I was generally grumpy about the festive season (humbug!) last weekend - but since I talked about my life here. Reflection is something that comes pretty easily to me, and it feels natural to take stock at this part of the year. It's a natural part of winter, where things are slower and the world a little quieter. 

This year has been a bit crazy and it feels like it's been tough, emotionally. In some respects I've ended up running as fast as I can to stand still, as Alice in Wonderland put it. As we grow closer to the end of the year, I'm trying not to feel too aggrieved by things, as well as girding my loins for whatever comes next. Please forgive me because I don't feel I can really go into immense amounts of detail in some areas but will at least touch on the parts which have been difficult. 

The good news is that my job is now safe. My employer has had to downsize, letting people go. My role was due to end at the end of March. While this is a relief, I'm trying to learn the lessons from the situation. So far, that's coming through as a need to upskill and focus (which is often difficult for me). I'm also committing more to the union and hoping to become the Green Rep in the new year. 

Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

The bad news is that mediation with my ex-wife fell through and the case is now closed. I need to reflect on whether it's worth continuing to push for things to happen or if I should simply walk away. I simply don't know. I'm conscious that I tend to give up too easily, and I'm sure my therapist would offer a lot of counsel on why. 

I think part of it is that I'm just tired. It feels like I've been the driving force behind this from the start, doing the forms, ticking the boxes, finding the resources and trying to get things to a point where everything's tied put to bed.  

At present, I plan to see if my union's lawyers can help, so we'll see what happens. It may come to nothing, but I don't see what else I can do. 

The whole thing has me thinking about what I want, and how I should go about getting it. I'm often bad at working out the steps to getting to things and even worse at staying on target. In some ways, this post is in part about ordering my thoughts and if not getting all my ducks in a row, at least making sure all my pagan squirrels are at the same rave. 

Part of that is deciding how quickly I want to put things to bed and how much emotional and mental energy I want to devote to the past. 

cover by Raymond Swanland
In that spirit, of course, there has to be a sense of recommitment to the things that bring me joy and I want to grow in my life. For example, writing, which I still feel determined to make at least a part of my life in a more significant fashion. Words and expression are endlessly important to me and I truly love them. Only this week, I've been geeking out over a paragraph in the Chronicles of the Black Company and getting a little thrill at the turns of phrase that Glen Cook brings to bear. I want to write, I want to have the energy and focus to make wonderful stories that people love. What that looks like, is the next part of the process. 

With that in mind, I'm trying to focus on building my writing career by focusing on short stories and roleplaying adventures. I have novel ideas, and works in progress, but at present I feel it's best to focus on short pieces that I can either self publish or send to magazines. 

On top of that, in an effort to work out what roleplaying game I'm running next (which I know I want to be a horror conspiracy game), I'm working on fleshing out four one shot adventures to establish players' preferences and get a place to focus. 

Of course, despite this attempt to focus, I have also been writing a roleplaying setting. In it, the power of necromancy is out of control following the fall of the Liche Emperor. There's a touch of "so it goes" to that, I'm afraid. I think I'll always have those impulse projects, so I'm trying not to berate myself too much about giving myself a side quest. 

Photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash

I wish my brain wasn't so woolly, and I worry that this move has been driven by a) my people pleasing tendencies and b) an unfair assumption that most people know what they want far more than I know what I want. I get very confused when people tell me they want me to be happy... honestly, it isn't something I'm used to. Most of my life has been "grin and bear it" to the point where I just, well, do. To give myself some compassion, this comes from a long period of time where my opinions didn't count, so learning to put myself first is a journey I'm still on. 

Vaesen by Johan Egerkrans
The thought that I might be moving because of my job situation (sadly, there's very little in the way of career prospects where I live) also led to me deciding to focus more on things I love and try to finesse the skills and knowledge attached to them. So with gaming, for example, becoming very good at running a specific set of games and not keeping titles I won't run lying around. In gaming terms that's led to me really focusing on some World of Darkness titles, the new Laundry Files game, Vaesen, Night's Black Agents, and some Warhammer stuff. 

It has also made me more committed to writing and playing my own settings, because to be honest I do feel quite tired of playing with other people's toys. Hence, my attempt to build a setting with too much undead stuff going on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...