Skip to main content

Standing In The Dark: Learning I Don't Fit

 Hi,

Welcome back to the Shores of Night, or welcome if you're new. My name is Grim, a nonbinary, autistic human, and this blog covers far too many things. 

Content Warning: Abuse, Bullying and Mental Health

This is a bit of a memoir I'll never write. Some pieces from my past which, sadly, still inform who I am. I've been in therapy since 2022, and a lot of that has been dealing with this shit. 

I've never fit in anywhere. One of my first memories is being bullied on the playground because I didn't watch the He-Man cartoon (I know, the nerve! How dare I?). It doesn't get much better after that. My childhood was a patchwork of bullying and abuse. At the second school I attended, things got so bad that I'd burst into tears at the start of the school year, and I threw up in the back of my Dad's car at least once. It didn't help that the teachers were also picking on me, and I'm pretty sure that this was the start of my developing depression and anxiety, like the shittiest prize at a funfair. 

The next school was better, in so much as the adults weren't abusive, but the kids were just as bad as my "peers" had been before. It wasn't long before I didn't fit; it wasn't long before people were asking, "Does anyone really like him?" (this being before the idea of nonbinary had surfaced in the public consciousness). 

I learned that a "friend" had asked my sister this, and it's haunted me ever since. I learned that I was unlikeable, that I wasn't enough, and it informs my life even now - much as I wish it didn't. 

Secondary school... well, let's just say I learned being alone is far from the worst thing to be. The bus journey home from Princethorpe was Hell, and the only time my parents did anything was when my school uniform got damaged. 

In fact, my Mum would tell me that I had to learn to ignore the bullies and they'd stop, which feels like the sort of response someone who's forgotten what it's like to be a child would give. 

Meanwhile, at the actual place I was attending, I was a ghost. I turned up for classes, then vanished again. While my "peers" were on the playground or, later, in the Sixth Form Common Room, I retreated to the Study Hall or to odd places around the school to hide. 

Home was scarcely better. The place was geared to my Dad, who ruled with the sort of careless authority that could clench like a fist if he got angry. He'd been abused as a kid, and it feels like my entire family was structured like a fucking Philip Larkin poem. You know the one. 

Despite his history, he chose to gift me with more of the same, and it was made abundantly clear I was there on notice. I remember it starting at the Naval Museum in Portsmouth. "That's your real Dad," he said, gesturing up at a picture of Hitler. "We found you on the doorstep." 

I got upset. He didn't stop. If anything, it got worse.  

The rest of my childhood was dominated by this sort of thing, and I have heard so many versions of why it happened that it's exhausting. 

Worse, these taught me a very toxic sort of masculinity (since I am AMAB) and that being broken was "normal". My Dad's actions also led to me losing any faith in Christianity. I lost the ability to believe that a man, or a man-shaped deity, could be the creator of everything. I used to say if God was a man, we'd have more duck-billed platypuses because the men I knew, especially in my family, seemed like they'd be the type to fill the world with stupid animals. 

Between these experiences, I learnt that most men aren't to be trusted, that I have no place in the world and that alone is better than toxic company. It left me feeling homeless in terms of gender because there was no way in Hell I wanted to be like those people. It also taught me that my voice doesn't matter, because no matter how I fought, how much I protested, nobody listened. 

As an adult, I struggle to make myself heard and for a long time I didn't have much confidence - though I probably faked it well enough. I just remember feeling alone and masking it with a mixture of people pleasing, sarcasm and, frankly, irritation with the world. Unhealed, terrified, and even with my former partners alone and waiting for them to turn on me. Waiting for the moment where I wasn't enough. 

Waiting for the "Does anyone actually like them" moment. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...