Skip to main content

On Choosing an RPG to Play

I'm a gamer, I like dice of many different sides and colours. I like sitting around with friends to make up stuff about imaginary characters who, if they chose, could probably snap the players like twigs. I like to think that it goes hand in hand with my other pastime, writing (though the two should never be confused, I've learnt the hard way that gaming is gaming and writing is writing).

As I write this I'm looking down at a year long stint as a player, because I'm not going to run a game until Autumn 2014, after the MA I'm doing is done. One of the longest serving members of the group, also a GM, has just taken a break, citing reasons of burn out. Which leaves the other GM with the dubious pleasure of a full year of running games. On the one hand that sounds like Heaven, on the other, well it's a lot of work and strife he's potentially facing.

Despite my long stretch as I finish off the MA and work on my (now trilogy) of novels, I'm going to take the opportunity to look at gaming and try to plan out something long and flexible (oo er). A quick census of my collection revealed a lot of games I've never run before, some of which I've never even suggested as games to play; and that won't do at all. My original list of about six games expanded to a fulsome 24 (and then some) before I decided that was a nonsensical approach and decided to slash the numbers right down to a more sensible 14 and then down to eightish - the number fluctuates up and down depending on how attached I'm feeling to titles and how much I think I can get away with saying 'look I want to build my own world'.

I'm not too concerned about plot to be honest - one thing I've learnt from writing is that story is story and you either find a way into it or you don't. Stories are infinitely malleable and you can shape them however you want so a lot of the stuff that constitutes genre is simply set dressing to make the piece you're writing feel different. As a result, aside from one game on the short list I'm just planning to churn out the same plot and adapt it to the game I run, which takes some of the pressure off to be honest.

The short list I've ended up with is:

Dreaming Cities: A Tri Stat game that focuses on urban fantasy. It comes with three settings but, if I'm honest this is where I plan to build my own. I think I'll have to talk to my players and find out what they want.

Ashen Stars: A game where the players take on the roles of freelance police, effectively in a space opera setting. This feels like the most 'writerly' of the games because of the way the game's system is designed; its a detective game so there's a lot of focus on gathering evidence and things like that. The game boasts some fresh ideas and some lovely races that are just the right side of alien. There isn't much setting here beyond the broad strokes, because (and again this underscores the writerly nature of the game to me) the idea is that you generate places to support plots.

Yggdrasil: A game set in 6th Century Scandia (or Scandinavia if you prefer), this is a historical fantasy game that fully embraces the Norseman life without falling into the cliches of horned helmets. It's set before the 'Viking' period as well so the looting and pilaging opportunities will be fewer. The game is very involved with the concept of runes and fate, as well as the other things that RPGs normally touch upon.

AEON and Adventure!: A pair of games, part of White Wolf's AEON Continuum (a short lived attempt to do for Science Fiction what the World of Darkness did for horror. One, AEON (or Trinity as you may know it as the game company had to change the name after a law suit from MTV) is a nearish future game set in a world ravaged by superhumans, where the threat has returned from space. It attempts to mix lots of styles of SF together by creating genre theatres around the world, cyberpunk in North America, post apocalypse in Europe and so on. The characters are psions, people who have psychic powers (where that seems to extend beyond telepathy and psychokinesis and into body shaping and healing powers as well). There are orders, groups to belong to - as you might expect from a White Wolf game, which range from corporate movers and shakers, shadowy assassin revolutionaries and dedicated healers. Again there's nothing strange here.

Adventure! takes place rather earlier in the timeline, the 1920s and 30s in fact and draws heavily from the pulps of the day. The world is strange and largely undocumented. I get the impression that the setting is meant to put the characters in a similar niche to 'Brass's People' from Planetary; globetrotting heroes who band together to keep the world safe (for varying degrees of 'safe' of course).

Numenera: The new game. I grabbed this on impulse after seeing some people rhapsodying over it on an RPG site. It's set in the '9th World' an epoch in the far future and the characters are people who shift through the rubble of ages, have adventures and generally get on with strange things.

Lastly we have the Reserve List, in case it all falls flat.

SLA Industries: An old game but one I love and haven't run for about a decade. SLA casts the characters as Ops working for an all powerful company and cleaning up its messes.

Changeling the Dreaming: The fifth of the original World of Darkness games, here the PCs are Changelings, dual soulled beings who interact with the unseen world around them. They're creatures of imagination and dreams, fighting against the inevitable onset of Winter; a time when these things won't exist and the world will be duller and shallower for it.

It does suffer a little from the original WoD's 'scientists ran over my dog' syndrome but at the same time it's an evocative game, full of beauty and wonder (which are surely needed to make the darkness deeper).

And that's it - this is what I'll be presenting to people tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...