Skip to main content

Writing: A Quandary

I don't usually like to put up stuff that's too much in the real world, partly because my real life is quite dull (one thing about writing is that it takes time and that cuts away from the time you could spend bungee jumping, delivering mysterious boxes of chocolates and having torrid affairs). As a result my quandary is actually writing related and is this...

I'm unsure of whether I should push ahead with completing my trilogy of novels and see if I can find an agent (or pay for a professional editor and the self publish via Amazon or Smashwords or something like that) or if I should build up a good set of short stories that I can then turn to an agent when the trilogy's done knowing I'm in a position to say that I've had work in magazines x, y and z and am known and therefore hopefully it's more likely that my longer work will be picked up.

I'm not sure who reads my blog but all the same, if you've got any answers, I'd love to hear them. :)

Comments

  1. Steve, my two cents- if it's important to you and you haven't published any of it on the web (that counts as using your first pub rights), go the professional route.

    I self published because I had already published my poems to my blog, in varying forms. I've had one sell (and I'm fairly certain that was from one of my editors). It's not a way that pays the bank or gets notice. Back in ye old days, we would have called self publishing "vanity press". Now, it works if you have a good base readership, if you're already marketing the hell out of yourself.

    I've never gone the agent route, or the grown-up editor route, but I think it would probably lead to a higher profile. Also, one of the benefits of using an editor who doesn't know you is that they can give you the occasionally brutal truth, if they need to. I find this an indispensable gift.

    Fiction is probably a little bit of a different beast, though. I have a friend who self publishes his books through Amazon and he loves it. He's quite prolific, though. I think he's on like book 5 or 6.

    Good luck, love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey K,

    Thanks for replying. The novel in question hasn't had anything for it put up online at all, aside from things on Facebook with me asking what are probably elementary questions about stuff (and things). The fact that it's just turned into a trilogy does help with this as it gives me more of a product to take to an agent.

    Not sure any writing pays the bills in all but the most prolific cases (King, Rowling etc) unless you have so many contracts that you always have small streams of income flowing in - otherwise it seems to be that thing of having homework every night when you get home from work. :)

    But yeah, it's important to me and really it's all I've ever wanted to do - it's just stuff keeps getting in the way. Admittedly that stuff is usually me because I can be hideously scatty and unmotivated... Must try harder. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...