Skip to main content

My Reading List By Cara McKee

Today we have Cara McKee, of the Oh We Do blog (http://ohwedo.blogspot.co.uk/) talking about her reading list and the problem of too manh books. Cara is a blogger, writer and Mum living in Scotland.



I have a mountainous backlog of books to read. I have never in my life reached the bottom of the pile, but at the moment it is really high. Someone suggested I switch to Kindle. The trouble is I already have... and I have plenty of books backed up to read on Kindle as well.

I blame Facebook. Partly because the shiny blue bauble on my 'phone and my tablet, tells me when I've got notifications, and I can't, I just can't, avoid looking. But mainly because Facebook helps me communicate with friends from all over, and one of the things I communicate about is books. If something sounds interesting, I keep my eye out for it.

One of the books on my Kindle is The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers. Recommended by Steve, and boosted to close to the top of the pile, behind the current crop:
  • Dangerous Women by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois is my current mission – I bought it for the George RR Martin story, but I was really annoyed at it being called Dangerous Women and yet featuring many more dangerous men, so I'm compiling evidence.
  • Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. We read Behind the Scenes at the Museum for Book Group and I was pretty taken with it, so I bought a load of Kate Atkinson books at a car boot. This one however, is the latest Book Group book, leant from a friend. I need to finish it so I can get into...
  • ...Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel – I've been wanting to read this for ages. I haven't read any fiction by Mantel, but love her style in articles. Plus I love historical fiction, especially around this period. This is the next Book Group book (I tried to get The Stress of Her Regard, but they quailed at the mention of vampires).
  • The Mummyfesto by Linda Green. I got sent this to review AGES ago, and I have tried, I really have, but it's so awful. Sorry Linda, you seem lovely, but I do not like this book.

Behind Tim Powers are all the books I've been buying at car boot sales (apart from the end of the Sookie Stackhouse series – I couldn't resist reading that straight away) – Trudi Canavan, Kate Atkinson and JV Jones amongst others, and I really want to re-read the Song of Ice and Fire series before the next one comes out...

...I think I might have time to hang fire on that.

My children piled up all the books I've got in my to-read pile, and laughed that it was nearly as big as them. I felt a bit daunted and a friend suggested I just take a break from reading for a few weeks.

TAKE A BREAK FROM READING?! Why in the name of all that's holy would I want to do that?


What's in your to-read list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...