Skip to main content

Review: Death of Grass by John Christopher

A bleak novel, certainly bleaker than you might expect from a novel written in the 1950s Death of Grass centres on the spread of the Chung Li virus, which attacks rice initially before mutating to attack all known grasses causing a famine. The novel centres upon a family, the Custances, who flee London with some friends and with a mysterious and often overly helpful man named Pirrie, as the country slides into martial law and chaos when the starvation caused by Chung Li's spread starts to bite. The characters' goal is Westmorland Valley, in Cumbria, where John Custance's brother David lives. Along the way they suffer horrific attacks, traumatic events and worse.

As with a lot of post apocalypse novels the cause of the apocalypse is less important than its fallout. The novel is a study in societal collapse, that old axiom that civilisation is three meals away from anarchy figures strongly in the narrative.Tribalism, distrust, and gang violence prosper as the famine bites and survival becomes a struggle. Whilst today this seems to harp upon a tired old theme, the destruction of scociety, in the 1950s it felt prescient: the horrors of World War 2 were still fresh in the mind. They had not receded into cliche as they have now. In many ways the novel is almost a classic case of hard  men making hard decisions, as Custance's Liberal Humanism comes under attack. The new world has none of the sureties of the old one and he is forced to become increasingly pragmatic, abandoning his principles in the name of survival. This shifting nature, which surely underlines the way society cajoles or allows us to behave in certain fashions becomes  apparent and there are some truly shocking moments, reflecting the changes the characters, particularly Custance, go through.

For the people around him, the novel reinforces the ideas that women and children would be particularly vulnerable in this sort of situation. It defaults to conservative views of gender relations, assuming that men are needed to protect women, a model under which sex might as well be a form of currency offered in return for safety. I'm pretty sure that says more about the social attitudes of the era it's set in than it does anything else, but after Wyndham's almost ruthlessly practical women, its a shock. I sense that Christopher may almost be writing an answer to Wyndham's post apocalyptic novels where gender relations are renegotiated and new balances are struck, as far as biology allows. 

The foreword of my copy compares the novel to Lord of the Flies and its easy to see why. The novels are both solidly mundane, there's no aliens or psychic powers, zombies or anything else; even the atom bomb scarcely gets more than a passing mention. Instead Death of Grass is human orientated, concerned with the effects of starvation upon general populations and the horror that would breeds. People are far more terrifying, arguably, than any movie monster. There may not be a Piggy moment, but Christopher pulls few punches in this down to earth examination of how the loss of a basic type of food would affect the human race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...