Skip to main content

Self Publishing, the Adventure Continues

So, the button has been pressed and the Kindle versions of the two books have been sent off to be fully processed and finally see 'print'. After that I'm going to get the paperback, print on demand, versions done so you can get them in dead tree versions.

My friend Emma created a wonderful pair of covers for me (and she's going to have a steady flow of work from me now - as long as I'm self publishing she'll be my cover artist), and you can see that below.

This is the cover for Forest Brides, a sort of Swords and Sorcery collection that focuses on the women dwelling in a huge forest, and the ways that they're free to grow and be who they want to be instead of being constrained by the rules of their society. I wrote this because I wanted to explore the various roles of women in myth, be that as mothers, monsters, witches, scapegoats, or psychopomps. I haven't quite finished with the area and there'll be a couple more books, at the very least, before I'm happy with that. At the very least I want to get some novels out of the setting and expand the world to make sure that I've explored it fully.

I'm really looking forward to doing that, I must admit, and want to pick up on the various strands that I've planted in the stories in Forest Brides, especially some of the elements in Hyena.  At present my plan for that is to write more about Tak and the way he never really escapes the influence of the Forest Brides in his own adventures.

There are some things I want to get written before I embark on that though, so while I hope you love the book and want to tell all your friends to buy it, you're going to have to wait for a bit before I get to work on the novel(s).

The other book, A Strange and Sudden Fury, is going to be out too!
It's hard to express how excited I am by that, and how much I'm looking forward to writing more of the characters' adventures. My protagonist, Armitage, in particular gets under my skin and I want to make him shine, by exploring who he is and what he's done in the past. And, of course, what happens when some of the chickens come home to roost.

I'm also fascinated by the city of Birmingham, and want to delve under its surface, both into it's history and into the accidental collisions of architecture, the occult, folklore and the like. I want the city to be a character on its own and to have readers recognise the place easily and quickly. This may be a bit harder than I make it sound because (spoilers) I did kill of the spiritus locus of the place in Fury (/spoilers).

Right, I have to get back to the day job, and set my brain to growing the next book.

Take care.
Steve


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...