Skip to main content

Self Publishing, the Start of an Odyssey





I don't really know where to start with this, to be honest. The short version of what I want to post is that I've decided to self publish my work for a while, in order to build a market for my books and get it out there, hopefully earning some money in the process. That feels like an awfully mercenary thing to write, but sadly money is necessary to live, and I think my work is good enough to be paid for (you may disagree).


So, I've decided to publish two large pieces, Forest Brides and A Strange and Sudden Fury in the near future. One, Forest Brides, is a book of short stories all about a magical group of women who dwell in a bonafide old forest and who share the energy of that place. The world thinks they're dead, and so they can come and go as they please and be whoever they want, free of the constraints that might be placed on them otherwise. Their world is a Bronze Age one, with large empires and tribes. I've tried hard to keep the stories focused on women and upon nature, and the world steps away from traditional fantasy in that regard. Join Noora, Tola, Teya, Eskylla and Ehla in their adventures, and discover the true identity of the mysterious Thornchild.

Later this year, I'll be trying to turn another Forest Brides piece, Daughters of the Moon, into a novel so I hope that will be published early next year. That's going to be an Arabian Nights inspired piece, in the Inner Sea. There'll be pirates, puzzles, sorcery and terrible secrets. Oh,and Nephilim, can't forget those. It'll also delve into the idea that the Forest Brides world has had a number of ages and doesn't really work like ours, once only the moon shone in the sky because the sun hadn't been born yet.


A Strange and Sudden Fury, in contrast, is an Urban Fantasy novel set in a divided occult Birmingham. It's the first in what I hope will be a series of books about 'Gutter Magi', wizards who use the magic they find on the streets, in hidden places, at markets and so on. When a spirit of rage and fury enters the city, a group of these outcasts mystics must find it, destroy it, and start to at least try to heal the city's wounds. My Birmingham is one of secrets, mysteries, and divisions. The city wants to rush into the future but under the chrome and glass, the bright shopping districts and consumer goods lurks something else. A city obsessed with keeping its mouth shut about so much of what's going on. Divided into Courts, the Magi carry their craft traditions through a world with no more use for them. As their magic shrivels, another power, one with a self declared crusade to transform Birmingham into Heaven on Earth, rises and they will follow their dream, no matter who it hurts.

Join Armitage, Spencer, Emily and Victoria as they try to beard the spirit in its den. We have such sights to show you.

I'm currently writing the second book, though I haven't finalised the title yet - at present I'm calling it Season of Fear, but that's going to change. It's about drugs, Faerie, fear (obviously), and how that shapes us as people, with a slight detour down into what we used to think about Faeries before the Victorians got their grubby mitts on them. They will do thee mischief in the woods.

In addition, I've decided to publish some shorter pieces for free, to give readers a taster of the kind of thing I write, as well as a poetry folio, Under the Trees. This is as well as setting up on Patreon https://www.patreon.com/stevecotterill, which I'm slowly figuring my way around. I do want to stress that Patreon will have a hodgepodge of writing, gaming pieces, op ed and other bits and pieces while Amazon (for that is who I am publishing through) will only have fiction and poetry. You can find my Author Page on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Cotterill/e/B01IT18AR6.

At the moment I'm just waiting for my tax to be sorted out, and my lovely cover artist to get those sorted... and then we're go! I hope you'll come along with me on this journey and enjoy what I create.
You can follow me on Twitter, too, if that's your bag.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you'll stop by again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...