Skip to main content

Standing on the Outside





Image result for my existential crisis is having an existential crisisSo here we are again, standing on the outside, looking in. Twitter, of all things, seems to have kicked this bout of my extensionalist, ahem, Existentialist Crisis having an Existentialist Crisis. Partly its that sense of standing looking in at everyone else's perfect lives and careers when I'm still trying to work out what the hell I'm meant to be doing with mine. Like the spud in the cartoon, I'm wondering what my purpose is, and how I best achieve it. Even as I'm hoping it lies in writing and teaching, I'm forced to admit I honestly don't know.

It isn't just that though, it's also the amount of certainty I see online, certainty that this group or that will save the day, that this politician or that policy maker will wave a magic wand and make things different. To be honest, most days I'm not even certain what I want for lunch, let alone what I want to be in life or who should be running the country. I feel the same way I did about the Extinction Rebellion protests in London, I want to support them but, ultimately, the way the world works, the way systems work almost guarantee that there's no way change will happen; consequently all those people will be left with is the feeling of disappointment as their heroes turn out to have feet of clay.

Image result for snake oil salesmanI've seen it happen before, with countless leaders and celebrities, (consider how both Clinton and Blair fell from grace) and I'm left faintly bewildered that having been failed in the past people are so keen to hitch their wagon to yet another horse who will simply fail them. It's like a syndicate of snake oil salespeople just roll into town and offer different cures, and when one doesn't work, we just roll along to the next one. You might as well plaster "one born every minute" onto the populace's collective backs.


The issue is also that because human brains by building connections, once a person has been declared persona non grata, everything they've done is also seen that way - so we throw out ideas that might be perfectly good, and eminently sensible, because the person who advocated them couldn't eat a bacon sandwich or did something we think was beyond the pale. The ideas and policies they advocated may, actually, be perfectly good, but because they've become a problem, we throw the whole lot out and move onto the next grifter. And of course this can work the other way around with someone who's so Teflon coated they can brazen out anything. To raise the stakes of modern politics, anyone who wasn't Alexander Johnson would have been finished in politics around the time their many philanderings came to public light. Because he could just shrug it off as unimportant though, we've bought so much of the snake oil he's reached the positon of 'prime snake oil salesperson' trying to flog the naff idea of Brexit to the population and steering the UK over the edge of the cliff.

This issue of faces and 'connective tissue' by the way, is why I think so many companies don't let you see the horrors who run them, and instead keep us all distracted with the latest pretty people they've paid to do their advertising. Making a model, actress, or singer the face of their brands means we tap into a different set of connections than if an old geezer poled up on screen and said 'buy our stuff'. Even in cases where the owners are well known (Bill Gates and Richard Branson for example), a pretty face we either associate with cool things or with nothing at all is a better way to sell stuff.


Image result for Consume

Anyway, at present we have to add into the whole 'miracle cure' thing the increasingly fractious tensions between Left and Right, the ever growing reliance on blame seeking and tribalism. Perhaps it's Twitter's bubble effect at work but it feels as if so many people are just digging into their trenches and buckling down to bitch about things with their fellow travellers that nothing is ever going to reach them. To me, this political circle jerk is fundamentally pointless, it doesn't do anything useful, just makes people feel better for being 'pure' - and that seems poisonous because purity is a pointless goal. Nothing is purely one thing or another, success comes from mixing and matching elements rather than by exiling everything we don't agree with. Furthermore, by beginning the process of exiling we can end up going to extremes, which only makes the swing back, when it comes, all the more violent - guaranteeing that society, politics, and economics lurches from one extreme to another. In other words, we end up with a scenario that pleases almost nobody but for very loud, very stupid, people who don't think for themselves.

Image result for rockem sockem robots
That leaves me in a situation where I just can't relate to this confidence that if x, y or z happen everything will be fine. I sense that we just don't know enough to be certain of anything at present and that scares me. And it makes me wonder if everyone secretly feels this way or if I'm on my own? Is it like being an adult where everyone's actually making it up as they go along?

Image result for my existential crisis is having an existential crisis
For a long time I've had the feeling that we don't actually understand the world we live in anymore and nothing's really shaken this - is this why I feel so unattached? And are the passionate believers in politicians and causes just reacting to that by clinging to things they do understand, even though it's doomed to failure? I mean, I'd like to dig into all those things that stop us changing things - not EU law, which I think is relatively benign, but the contracts with big congolomerates, the things that groups like the IMF have insisted upon etc, because that seems to be where the issues arise. If I'm honest I don't know if governments can change anything or if they're so tightly bound by bureaucracy and deals that the Prime Minister is a bit of a fig leaf.

Image result for my existential crisis is having an existential crisisAnd yes, I do realise I sound as if I'm being a snooty bugger, but I actually wonder if I'm just dense for not feeling this way. Am I missing something obvious? Am I deficient in some respect when I fail to feel impassioned by something somebody has said, or look at AOC and think 'you're cool but I give it ten years before you lose all your fans'?

Anyway, I don't know that I have any answers, likely not, I'm just taking a Twitter break (apart from the instance where I post this to there) and look there's a kitty. Everything's better with a kitty.

Right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...