Skip to main content

The Temptation of Positive Stereotypes

One thing I've noticed now that my long spate of ignoring TV is over is how much the medium relies on stereotypes. They're pervasive, filling almost every show from edge to edge. I must admit though, that where I've noticed it most is in Kung Fu based films and TV shows where Chinese and Asian actors are almost always superpowered with martial arts. It makes me think of the song Kung Fu Fighting, which came out in the 1970s when martial arts films became popular in western cinema and playgrounds filled up with kids aping what they'd seen on screen. Since that time, when Bruce Lee was the top name in such things, through Jackie Chan, Jet Lee, Chow Yun Fat and others (Michelle Yeoh, for example), this stereotype of the Asian guy who knows fifty ways to kill a man with his pinky finger has persisted. It clings on like a limpet and I can see that it's cool. I like watching martial arts fights, marvel at Wire Fu and Wuxia but at the same time, it leave me uneasy.

In part that's because amongst all the 'wokeness' of our age, I haven't seen people saying that the Kung Fu martial artist isn't a helpful stereotype - that might be because the Internet is a big place, but it feels as if there's an element of purposeful neglect here. Because its cool we won't mention it. Because it makes the people who do it look tough and vigorous how can it be wrong to assume that all Asian people know how to fight that way? Surely, it's a compliment, just as assuming that all Chinese people are good at Maths or are Doctors is... ?

Right?

But, that isn't the argument we make for other ethnicities, we don't say that Black actors should be happy because they get to star in sports films, or in Jazz biodocumentaries. We acknowledge that those stereotypes are actually harmful and we try to negate them, just as we've started to see Hollywood do with the 'black dude dies first' trope that's dogged so many Science Fiction films.

Female actors have been pushing against typecasting as they grow older for as long as I can recall, but again, I haven't heard the same argument being made for Asian actors (and for the record I'm a white guy in my 40s who would like this whole mess sorted and put away for good).

So, even though we're apparently sanguine about this situation, we have to acknowledge that we're stereotyping everytime an Asian actor steps up to do Mongoose Strike or Drunken Master Style. This is what bothered me so much about the backlash against Ironfist, the fact that in seeking to denounce the idea that a white guy could be the saviour of Asia, the critics were doubling down on the idea that martial arts were only for Asians to use. By trying to undermine one cliche, they propped up another. I'm not sure which was the more harmful trope - all Asians know Kung Fu or the Messianic White Dude.

I suspect, in practice that Marvel simply should have tried to develop an Asian hero who didn't have the cliche attached and simply left Danny Rand on the shelf for another day.

But that's by the by, the fact is that this stereotype is fully in force, it's not going away and if we believe in the the quality of representation on screen, as well as the quantity, we should be protesting against it and pushing for more diverse roles for Asian actors.

And that said, let me leave you with a song....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...