Skip to main content

What is the "Real World" Anyway?

 I have long been interested in the question of what counts as “real” in our periods of existence on this planet. It seems to me that humans are awfully good at creating abstract notions that they then use to limit their behaviour and the way they relate to each other. Often to the point where they’re given more validity than things that actually exist in a concrete way. For example the *idea* that cats might be in league with the Devil arguably led to the Black Death because the fear of cats led to the deaths of so many which allowed the rats that carried the disease bearing fleas to flourish. In a similar fashion we have seen that certain people are more concerned with the state of the economy than people’s lives in the Covid pandemic. Quite apart from the fact that putting money ahead of life is repugnant, this rather overlooks that money isn’t actually real, but something that has worth because we believe it does as a species. If we stopped believing in money tomorrow, it would be valueless. I believe in Hinduism this is called Maya, or illusion, and it feels as if we are caught up in it most of the time, despite the fact that it’s just not real.


Today, I would argue that the “real world” is largely a hallucination composed of ideas about how we should live and what we should do while we are alive. It has become synonymous with “society”, and “world”, really: all three terms really mean “how we live now” and the idea that to be alive requires conformity to these ideas. To stray outside them is to risk being branded an outcast, one who has lost their sense of reality, or is a social disgrace, or doesn’t live in “the real world”. It is quite odd, I suppose, that in a Christian country, the adherents of these intertwined ideas overlook that Yeshua ben Miriam must have done exactly these things - walking out on his family to preach, roving the countryside with his friends, and generally being thoroughly disreputable. These are exactly the sorts of things people who are living in the “real world” aren’t meant to do, after all. Assuming there is a Second Coming, presumably the Messiah would be moved on from the place they and their followers have parked their caravans and motorhomes because they’re lowering the house prices (sadly the Gospels don’t tell us about Yeshua’s attitude towards littering or public drunkenness though turning water into wine might suggest he was fond of the odd drinkie).


Returning to the subject, this “reality” is a construct. It’s assembled from what we consider normal from our childhoods, what society tells us is important, the biases of our brains and our nature as a troop based primate with complex social hierarchy and status system where we’re all trying to get a leg up on each other even when we don’t seem to be. It’s also based on what our media feeds us about the “world” and how that informs what we know. When we consider that to be successful a piece of technology must be geared either towards war, shopping, or sex, (and I would argue possibly cooking as well), it is perhaps no surprise that our main drives happen to be related to these elements, and that everything else more or less crowds in on top of them. 


Consequently there’s perhaps a question that, in the same way that Anais Nin tells us that we don’t see the world the way it is, but the way we are, so we should question our assumptions; we should treat everyone else’s pronouncements about the world and reality with a certain amount of scepticism and ask questions of their statements. Is the person who declares that you have to have a 9 to 5 job and that’s the be all and end all actually done one? Have they had a job they hated, or one that affected their mental health? Have the people, usually men, who dismiss period pain, any real idea of how much one hurts? Where does their experience, and therefore what they’re qualified to talk about, end?  


There is no one reality, no “real world”, only interlocking and enmeshing realities that are all intensely personal. My experience of the species and how it interacts isn’t likely to be the same as yours, though we can hope it would be similar. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...