Skip to main content

Autumn

 Hi,

I managed to get too busy and too overwhelmed to keep going with my original blogging scheme for the year, so took a break. I might pick up posting characters again, but stick to that - that way I have more reasons to make characters for the oodles of games I seem to have picked up recently - most from the Trinity Continuum. I've always been interested in the games and owned the first editions for a while. I have a particular love for the Adventure! incarnation, partly because I have a love of Pulp and felt the Planetary comic by Warren Ellis was a perfect model for the game which combined two things I love in one neat package. Add in some global conspiracies and the like, and I'm a happy person. 

I'm reading the Aether setting, for Victorian or Steampunk games, and find myself torn over the fact that it's doing some really cool stuff but also features a lot of established heroes from the fiction of the period, which feels a bit like a waste. I guess Adventure! doesn't feature Doc Savage and the Shadow because of copyright issues, but given that it doesn't, including Mina Murray, Doctor Jekyll, and the like feels like a glaring change of pace. I know the characters are out of copyright though, so there must be a huge temptation to use them because they're so iconic. I mean, who doesn't think Mina Murray (or Harker), would go onto hunt vampires? 

I'll make some heroes for the era and put them up here, (part of the fun of the continuum for me is the idea that a single family might produce new heroes in each of the games, perhaps never knowing their ancestors had also been exposed to Flux). 


Weirdly, I'm working on the outline for a Victorian novel, set in a world where after Prince Albert's death there was a serious spike in supernatural events, and after the Ripper's murders a second one occurred. My detectives are investigating a death at a séance, and I'm trying to work out the mystery so I can write it in such a way that the reader can solve it but it's also not too easy. I'm uncertain whether to add the same iconic characters - though some slight nods to "the Baker Street detective" or "the Hyde Incident" might weave their way in. What do you think, would that be cool? 

Outside of that, I'm trying to focus on Dark Fantasy, and to develop Markov and Elna's worlds into deep, and well rounded worlds that can be used for longer pieces. I already have ideas for a novel set in the Talons' world, which I don't think Markov's world could necessarily carry. Both settings are being geared towards something darker with perhaps some touches of gothic and fairy tale to make them more interesting. The other thing I want to do with Markov's world is double down on the environmental aspect. Part of the inspiration for his adventures came from Princess Mononoke, and as Green politics are important to me, I do want to put the state of the natural world at the heart of his stories. This is another reason why I'm making his world darker, because the more I discover about the events that ended the era of magitech the more I think the upheaval would have left serious problems and the physical world would be buckled, broken, and bent into strange and terrifying landscapes. 

In comparison, dealing with the giggling sadists within the Mists in Torvenland, (in Elna's world) seems prosaic. When Shadows of the Past has been published, I'll do a deep dive into the setting and what I want to achieve with it (which is mostly "tell amazing stories" to be honest). 

To focus on writing more, I took a break from gaming over the summer and now plan to pick up Vampire the Dark Ages in a few weeks' time. I've missed interacting with my gamers, but in some respects, I haven't missed running a dice rolling part of the game very much, which may be confirmation that the social outlet and the story is the important thing to me.  Still, it will be fun to get back to the Omen War and watch what my players decide their characters are doing. 

On the personal life front, I'm starting to look for a new job and to try and find something new to do, as I don't think I want to stay in the Admissions world. I know every job has stressful periods but I'd like to get to the point where August and September aren't just panic stations because there's so much to do and not enough people to do it. I'd also like to feel like I don't have to act up to cover things my manager's forgotten or doesn't see the value in. I'm still going to therapy, and finding it beneficial, and waiting for my autism assessment. I suspect that once I know if I'm autistic that may shape my future career plans but I mostly want to be assessed to make more sense of myself. 

Not dating - and haven't been on any dates since just after Easter, just because I've been trying to work myself out and I feel like that's something I need to do alone. After all, most people spend their time telling you who they think you are, rather than letting you work that out for yourself. I do worry I'm just too feral for a relationship these days, and I like my peace and quiet too much to spend much time with a significant other. That means I return to the "just get a pet" option, but still need to buy somewhere before I can get a kitty. 

So that's where I am. I hope it was helpful, illuminating, and so on. I'll try to blog again soon (with something that's not just pointing you to the next part of Shadows, or advertising another piece either). 

Stay well, blessed be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...