Skip to main content

On Socially Focused Gaming

Hello,

It's great to see you here, on the shore. The sun's sinking and the night's rushing in. If you're new to these parts, I'm Grim. I talk a bit too much about too many things, everything from comics, roleplaying, politics and even philosophy. I love history; I'm a nerd, though I fear I'm becoming that terrible thing, a nerd who's bored of a lot of the familiar nerd things.  

This piece is a follow-up to a previous piece, in which I expressed discontent with the general gaming model of "jobs" - clearing out ruins, fetching MacGuffins from dangerous places, hunting down monsters and so on. Missions that PCs perform and then slip away into the night. One reason I dislike this model of gaming is that it can easily turn towards a hard-edged, cynical, and violent tone. Worse, it can do so without there being any real consequences. The last piece (here) focused on Vampire: the Masquerade and Werewolf: the Apocalypse because for a long time they were my favourite games. I mentioned how much of the hobby is built on the idea of the "cool fight" and on a reflexive level of power equalling importance because the game design is based on a continual ladder of growth until the PCs become gods. I know that that's what a lot of people play for and, you know, that's fine if it floats your boat. I just don't feel like it's right for me anymore. 

As I said before, I've spent a long time wandering, trying to find the "perfect" game, or a set of games that embrace different genres and feel just right. I'm only just starting to realise that that's a fool's errand and that I probably need to reassess what it is I'm actually looking for. Or, more to the point, the sort of experience I want to present to my players. 

I've always been more motivated by mysteries and intrigues (though I've learned to my cost that including lots of intrigue can ruin a game really fast if you're not careful) than by combat. I think that, quite apart from not liking violence, I enjoy these stories because they involve people, emotions, and agendas. It isn't a case of simply "clearing the hex" as S John Ross puts it in his Big List of RPG Plots. Instead, the voices of other characters are important. The dungeon the characters have to pass through is often a social one, with longer-lasting consequences if they offend someone important. 

As a result, many of the plots I tend to run are murder investigations or involve counter-espionage; for example, in Vampire I might run something with Camarilla agents trying to intercept Sabbat spies. That means involving communities, people who know the characters and can be reliable sources and supports for the heroes. Returning to Vampire and Werewolf, Elysium and Septs serve as exemplars for the ideal, being story generators and existing in such a way that they drive drama. More than that, they're grounding influences, providing societies that have rules and customs for the PCs to follow. This feature of World of Darkness games now feels more important to me than ever before, because they provide an enforceable social framework that can drive roleplaying. They mean that when something goes awry, there are consequences for actions. This adds meaning and weight to characters' actions in a way that playing on a lawless frontier doesn't. 

Returning to the issue of violence, I'm also really conscious that adventuring parties are often composed of "murder hobos", loners who travel the land without connection or community, and that simply feels weightless to me. My interest in community and, increasingly, memory means that the idea of running off into the night (never overly appealing) leaves me cold as the grave these days. While I don't dismiss all fighting, I increasingly want character interaction to dominate the sessions rather than spending several hours sorting out a battle. 

In many ways, as I write this, I feel like all I'm doing is defining the problem, but in doing so I'm finding the answers I want. Drawing from what I've written, strong themes of community and consequence, character and development are not so much suggesting themselves as waving big damn placards and shouting "over here!". More than that, at the risk of sounding like a pseud, I want to use these games to explore some deeper questions, like the importance of memory or the limits of peace. My current game of Vaesen is very much built around a question of British identity, and also allows me to scratch my conspiracy itch. That deeper level is what keeps me interested in many ways, as well as, ironically, returning me to the World of Darkness games that were so formative in keeping me in the hobby. 

I'm sure this will be a topic I return to, probably repeatedly. My next challenge will probably be to start working out how to get these elements into games, and integrate them into play. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...