Skip to main content

Proof of Life

 Hey, 

Welcome, or welcome back, to the Shores of Night. I'm your host, Grim, and I talk about far too many things. 

I'm conscious that I'm pretty bad at updating the blog. This is really a proof-of-life blog piece. I have a few essays/think pieces on the back burner, waiting to be finished. One's about human nature and the other about fantasy and history, and I'll try to get them published soon... ish. 

After that I'll see what I can start writing about. I'd quite like to do something fairly big, perhaps a deep dive into a roleplaying game like The Wildsea or Vaesen, or a Chapter and Verse series for the Definitive Edition of Ars Magica, going through it chapter by chapter. I also want to talk more about mental health and the odd things I find interesting, because let's face it, I'm interested in some odd things. 

That, though, is for the future. I feel like I have to get through this month first. 

September

Honestly, this time of year is exhausting. Everything comes to a head at work, so it gets stressful and rushed. Even though this isn't my first year in the role, it feels more stressful than in previous years. I'm not sure if that's because I'm getting older or because of other factors (and I want to be explicitly clear that it's not about my employer or anything like that - it's just me and my weird brain and things that make me wonder if I have ADHD as well as autism... At the same time, I don't really want to go down the route of more assessments. 

Sorry, that sounds like whining, which I didn't intend. I'm not wallowing in self-pity. I just feel tired and stressed and like it's time to explore new avenues. 

I think I'm ready to move on. Or maybe I'm just getting ready to move on. I feel like that's a process I've been circling for a while, and it's hard to measure. 

Stepping Forward But Dancing Back

That means tying up old pieces of business, even if I don't want to. For example, it means getting stuff sorted out with my ex-wife, getting the house sold and being able to go our separate ways. That means lawyers and other things, which I fear will be expensive and stressful. I have to admit I've been avoiding it for a while because it's all been so frustrating so far. 

It also means working out what I want to be when I grow up, if I do. I sort of fell into my line of work, and I've never really felt strongly drawn to anything else to pull myself out. If I'm honest, I have quite a scarcity mindset around work and am very conscious that I struggle to retain jobs and fit in anywhere. The world has never felt like my oyster; if anything, it's the opposite.

Photo by Luca Bravo on Unsplash

Right now, I'm feeling motivated by learning I'm autistic and realising how stacked the world is against anyone who doesn't have a neurotypical brain, and by the worsening climate crisis. I suppose that's lit a fire under me. 

I want to help; I want to act. That feels like it's driving my job search a lot right now, if I'm honest. One good thing about the university sector is that it gives you a lot of transferable skills, so I have a decent amount of things I can do, even if I doubt myself a lot of the time. The issue is my tendency to think in black and white and to count myself out if I see something in a job description I don't think I can do.

Helllooooooo Anxiety.

Stumbling Blocks

It's hard for me to see a world beyond university administration, even though I feel like it's not work I'm particularly good at much of the time. I'd like to find a different sky to shine in, and I want to do something to counteract the backlash we're seeing to so many things I hold dear. I think, as a consequence, part of what I'm circling around are these questions: 

What do I want to do? 

What am I good at? 

Where can I make a useful contribution?

I don't have the answers, but I hope to find out. I'm tired of living life on everyone else's terms. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...