Skip to main content

The Pen Is Mightier Than The Keyboard

 Hi,

Welcome, or welcome back if you're new, to the Shores of Night. My name is Grim, an autistic, non-binary person, and I talk about too much stuff here. 

You know how it goes. 

Photo by Igor Kasalovic on Unsplash

I'm sort of just trying to keep going with the blog, and -help! - I'm blogging without a plan! Danger, danger, Will Robinson! 

I usually at least have an idea of what I'm going to write about beforehand, but today's subject literally came to me as I sat down to write. 

So, this post will be a catch-up about writing and how that's going. 

Or more accurately, how it's not going at all. 

I started this year with big plans. I was going to write ten short stories, get them published, finish a setting for gaming (at least to the point where I could play it with my group), and plan a novel to start next year. 

Looking back in September (as in... now - sheesh, where has this year gone?) I have achieved almost none of this. I got a story published earlier in the year and got one rejected. It needs a wee rewrite to make it a bit more accessible, but I still have hope for it. 

I've planned out probably about a third(?) of my novel about a conspiracy in a fantasy country that includes spies, discrimination, and an infant king (hence the conspiracy). So,  it's not that I've achieved nothing, but I certainly haven't managed what I hoped I would. 

I'm also not quite at the stage of panicking, partly because I have always been this way - big plans, small output. 

Honestly, it's hard not to be sick of myself because of that. Even as I realise something needs to change. I wish I were different, but if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. 

I have to accept that I need to have a major rethink. More than that, I need to do things differently. 

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash
First, I have to stop writing online, or even on my laptop, and put my phone away. I think focusing on using pen and paper for creation, and typing my work up later. The advantage there is that what hits the screen will be a second draft. That means the thing I type up won't be raw, but will already have gone through some improvements. 

Second, I have to take time during my day - not after it - to write. That means lunchtimes have to be about reading and writing now. (To explain: if I'm on site, I'm usually exhausted from masking, and all I want to do in the evening is... nothing. It's not as bad if I'm working at home, but I usually run a game on one of those days, which naturally cuts into writing time.) 

I think I also have to create a way to negotiate more energy for my weekends, too. 

Third, I have to type things up quickly, so I don't lose momentum. 

With gaming, I need to commit to the work I'm doing and get the various settings to the table. There are two things I'm working on. 

The first is a setting called the Cauldron, which is based around the idea of a magical asteroid striking the world and creating a crater. It's meant to be small (though I have started to develop the world around it).

Beyond the whole "there's a magic crater" thing, I'm trying to step away from conventional fantasy by working out what cultures that, say, live underground might actually look like. I'm playing fantasy anthropologist, trying to shift the societies I create away from Tolkien's Shadow (the recycling of Tolkienian ideas within the genre) and into fresher territory. Admittedly, because this is for RPG gaming, I'm not going completely mad with this. I know how conservative with a small c role-players can be; they all too often look for comfort and familiarity, even when the setting promises something shiny and new. 

Illustration by Pragati Choudhari on Unsplash

The second idea is Epitaph of Bone, which is based on an idea that fascinates me: what happens when the saga ends?  I think about it a lot, often in the form of Final Girl figures and what happens to them after they've survived the horror film. 

Epitaph is focused on the idea that an undead emperor has been destroyed, but the realisation is that that doesn't solve the problem. It's a game, I hope, about rebuilding the world and finding hope among the ruins. It's got a strong sense of "what now?" which I find fascinating, even as I write about people squabbling over ruins and the fate of undead workers. My world-building here is about trying to envisage what would happen to a world where necromancy was common, and to extend that to what happens when that power starts to wane. 

And, of course, I'm now starting to think about writing fiction set there... because ideas are easy. 

A little too easy, if I'm honest. 

I have been ambushed by ideas along the way: a science fiction novel about washed-up spies on a prison planet, trying to build a setting that encompasses both my pseudo-Ancient Greek and Ancient Mesopotamian ideas, and various other things. It's stupidly easy to think of new things and enjoy the dopamine hit they give me. (And I'm probably not describing anything new: I imagine everybody with the slightest amount of creativity feels this way - I'm just lacking willpower). 

On the gaming front, I've also been distracted by the process of further delineating what I want to keep and what games I no longer feel attached to. That means slowly shifting out old games and enjoying the extra space I get. I have spent some time looking at games I really enjoyed in the past but now feel like they're less old friends and more mill stones, trying to work out new approaches. But, honestly, I haven't found anything that pleases me, and I've reached a point where I accept that the World of Darkness and I have, largely, parted company. Which is fine; it just means I don't want to keep things for it anymore. 

Of course, I've also bought new shinies, most of which probably need me to find new players because my current group is going to bounce off them hard. Ironically, one of those is the new edition of Ars Magica - which was the game Mark Rein-Hagen created before the World of Darkness games... 

Ack, detour! 

Getting back on track, the main task is to reboot the way I write and get things finished, not just started. I think that looks like starting to actually use the Pomodoro Technique and just focus on the paper in front of me.  

I have enough beginnings, so I need to settle myself down and finish things. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...