Skip to main content

A Small Idea

 Hi,

Welcome back to the Shores of Night, or welcome if you're new. My name is Grim, a nonbinary, autistic human who writes about a lot of things here. 

As you know, I've been pondering work and earning money lately. Right now, I'm wondering what I can do to create a bit of passive income, a little trickle of money to help out. I think roleplaying material would be a better focus, probably in the form of small settings, interesting NPCs and the like.

Starting with generic pieces, I thought I'd create a series of short supplements detailing women NPCs, treating them as both allies and potential antagonists. The initial focus would be historical. I'd detail Medieval, Victorian, and modern women, then expand into specific genres, like Fantasy, Cyberpunk and so on. Initially, I'd want to avoid clichéd figures, like witches and princesses, to avoid more obvious concepts and plot seeds. The point is to present rounded women with real concerns and inner lives for GMs to use in their games, because I feel like women are still overlooked in the hobby. 

For example, a Victorian woman's profile might be Jenny Bancroft, a well-to-do woman who's become part of the Temperance movement in a large city. I'd detail who she is, touch on her family, and her motivations. Then I'd expand on how she interacts with characters and how she'd react to their actions. With Jenny, she might be a useful ally in gaining access to her group or providing information about Society. As an antagonist, she's likely to apply social pressure, motivate people to act against them, and spread rumours that lock them out of resources. 

That makes her a very different kind of threat than, say, Millie Danvers, an East End boxer who sometimes turns to crime for gin money, or Jane Macleod, an American shootist with a travelling Wild West Show whose guns never miss.  

If I did this, I suppose my question would be: would you want magical, psychic, or science fiction elements baked in from the start? For example, would you want Jane to have been blessed by a deity during a near-death experience, and that's why she's so good, even if it was an optional detail? 

I also thought I'd create a set of supplements about Dorset, the county I live in, detailing locations through history and in the present. They'd include images, NPCs and plot seeds to make them quick and easy to use. Starting with Hengistbury Head here in Bournemouth, I'd explore its history as an Iron Age port and hill fort, and its role today (there will be goats), then expand the series to odd places throughout the county. I may even be cheeky and pop across the border to Hampshire to talk about the New Forest, its links to Wicca and Gerald Gardner, and make the local ponies central to a plot seed. 

My thought is that the United Kingdom has lots of overlooked spots; we are an old, old country (we have evidence that Hengistbury Head was occupied, one way or another, 12,000 years ago). It seems a bit daft to ignore that deep well, waiting for someone to draw up a metaphorical bucket of water. Drawing out the past and refashioning it for the present seems like a really cool thing to do. 

One thing I'm not sure of is whether I should create a set of small societies that investigate the uncanny, or perhaps a central government agency in the style of, say, The Avengers (for clarity, I mean the John Steed and Emma Peel version, not the one with Captain America) or Kim Newman's version of the Diogenes Club to act as a way to get Player Characters involved in creepy West Country shenanigans?

I confess that I'm not expecting answers to that question, and I'll probably end up making a handful of societies that respond to the uncanny in different ways. That seems more interesting than just trying to recreate the Laundry or something.

The third strand, I think, is to present low-fantasy locations with characters and plot seeds, slowly building content that could be part of a fantasy city... but could also stand alone. These wouldn't be special places; we're not talking about haunted castles or anything like that. I'm thinking of inns, temples, markets, and so on. Achingly normal places you could find anywhere, but with stories attached. 

The other option is to create locations that change over time, with early and late Medieval versions, an Elizabethan iteration, and a Regency version. That would make them usable across several games and, like supplements focused on women, these locations could include optional supernatural elements. 

I confess part of wanting that historical range is that I find Medieval content has been overused by the hobby, and if I can encourage GMs to set something in the 18th Century, then I'm going to take the opportunity! Or are you telling me you don't want an excuse to break out a dandy highwayman at the table, and have it be historically accurate? 

(Okay, maybe not that particularly dandy highwayman... )

Please rest assured these will be small, discrete supplements that could be stitched together into something bigger. I've no intention of giving up the day job or anything else... and yes, when I move to Wales (my current plan), I will eventually write little locations for roleplaying games there as well; all these ideas are purposefully modular. 

I think what I need from you, reader, if you feel able to tell me, are the answers to these questions:

1) Do you want the historical characters to have an optional uncanny ability where it's relevant or interesting? For example, do you want Jane Macleod to have an optional blessing from a deity, with some backstory to explain her ability as part of the write-up, or should I leave that up to your discretion as a reader and GM?

2) Do you want a larger setting attached to this? I don't imagine it would be hard to cook up something (particularly for the Victorian or modern periods) to link things together. I envisage this as something quite nebulous, but it provides some "connective tissue" between the locations, at least. 

3) I was planning to create these pieces as system-agnostic; would that suit your tastes? If I were to include system information, what would you want to see? 

Lastly, do any of these ideas catch your attention more than the others? 

Let me know in the comments below. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...