Skip to main content

Book Review: Self Made Man by Norah Vincent

 I first heard of this book in 2012, when the tutor for a module on the MA in Creative Writing I undertook recommended it for the Creative Non-Fiction module. I didn't get hold of it then, but it lived in my brain and eventually I sought it out, started reading it and stopping because I wasn't really enjoying it and then starting up again when I learned Vincent had committed suicide in 2022 (albeit suicide at an assisted dying clinic in Switzerland). On an unrelated point, the other reason I started reading it again was because I started to see the book being referred to by incels and manosphere commentators as a way to denigrate women and talk about how tough men have it. I can't remember the wording but the gist of it was that men's lives are so hard that trying to live as one caused Vincent to check herself into a mental institution. We'll come back to this later on. 

The basic idea of the book is that Vincent disguised herself as a man called "Ned" for 18 months and lived as much of male life as she could. She was inspired to do this because she thought it would be interesting to live that way and that doing so would reveal the ease of a man's life. An investigation into "how the other half live", so to speak. Structurally, Self Made Man is divided into different aspects of life, recounting specific relationships and experiences. Vincent works through fun, dating, sex, and other topics, offering her thoughts on each. We learn that the hardest thing for her, aside from the performance of masculinity, and her fears that she never quite performs it correctly, was the suspicion she encountered from women when dating. This is what appears to have wounded her most deeply, even though for much of the book we get the impression Vincent doesn't really like other women very much, often referring to the status games played in what I guess we could call "female culture". We explore the different aspects of perceived manhood and masculinity with a strong focus on relationships. I do wonder if there was an element of confirmation bias involved - or if I'm just innocent - when a lot of the male friends she makes make rude and degrading jokes about women and are obsessed with sex and getting it. In addition, it makes me wonder how honest the account is or if being a geek I simply walk a different path to the one she did. 

I also wonder if this book showcases the problem of American men, and the extreme masculinity that seems to be a hallmark of American culture. That's not to say that men in other countries are necessarily any different, only that their cultures might preclude some of the jokes and "banter" Vincent reports. In the UK, at least, it would probably be more disguised (and honestly British women are pretty rude too). 

In all honesty, for much of the book Vincent comes across as quite an unsympathetic figure, and one who was quite naïve. Partly I say that because its clear she was trapped within her bubble before doing this, and despite being gay, that she was unable to look or imagine how other people interact within society. 

Her conclusions are pretty profound, however, particularly the one that masculinity is less a cohesive thing and more a set of stoic poses created by a fear of appearing feminine - something she says she finds even among monks. When she talks about how the experiment affected her, it's hard not to feel like she experienced some serious mental health issues, which makes me wonder how damaged most men are. 

Returning to the online comments, it seems to me that the men who have now weaponised the book and Vincent's death don't actually care about what she wrote. The comments I've seen don't seem to suggest that they are looking at things systemically or at how they were raised and change things, they just want to be angry. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...