Skip to main content

Shadows of the Past: Hearth Not Home

 Part eight of my novella, Hearth Not Home is now up on Wattpad. It finds Elna in a reflective mood after the raid on the besiegers' camp. 

Shadows of the Past: Hearth Not Home

This part of the story was added at a later stage and it gave me a chance to do a touch of world building around the faiths present in Torvenland. I was very conscious that the official religion, the Church of the Five was male dominated and patriarchal and that made me feel uncomfortable. I know that in real life, more women than men are believers even in religions which don't give them any grace for being female (the Madonna/whore issue is proof of that, as is the idea of Eve committing the first sin). I was also conscious that - even though I haven't introduced the identities of the Five gods - there wasn't a deity allied to the domain of death or luck and that didn't seem right. Death is a fundamental part of life, after all, and you don't just dismiss it as nothing because you want to ignore it. If that were the case, the West would have stopped having anything but the most cursory funeral after World War One. 

I'd wanted to have some friction, no matter how deep down, between the faith of the Five and the Torvenlanders original ways. The Torvenlanders are meant to have a Norse or Germanic influence, and let's face it there are parts of the Norse Gods' faith that aren't exactly cuddly. I'm also very conscious of how older faith structures go underground rather than being wiped out when a new religion becomes popular. That's even or perhaps especially true when we think about death gods or superstitions - these things never spring into existence completely finished and almost always have elements of historical attempts at suppression attached (for example, the fear of black cats US and UK culture is rooted in fears that cats are in league with Satan - while any cat owner can tell you they're actually in league with their stomachs and warm sunny places). 

So, I created the "Crone", a figure who draws on the idea of women out surviving men into old age and being the people who bury the dead, but also the people who weave cloth (drawing on the idea of luck and fate being something woven), and then just adding luck because it felt like it's part of the same neighbourhood. She's probably the local dream god too. In a world where only male power and authority is really acknowledged, because even though I want the Crown and Crow stories to be fantasy and Medieval Scandinavia retained many of the more egalitarian features it had during the Viking period, she's actual female power. Ingvild was born (her name by the way was taken from Behind the Name which is where I get most of the names I use in my fiction). I picture her as being a multifaceted deity, with elements of a benevolent and wise grandmother, but also of figures like Baba Yaga and Black Annis. I hesitate to use the words "hag with iron teeth" but that's definitely in there. 

The rune image was taken from Unsplash and was taken by Petr Sidorov.

Comments

  1. Another great blog, Grim, great insight into your influences too. X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...