Skip to main content

Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber



A thick book of stories, this volume is packed with some of the best sword and sorcery I've read in a long time and really confirms that Leiber was one of the stars in the genre's firmament.  Written as short stories, which suits both the sword and sorcery genre and the characters, the narratives within have a different texture to those I've read to other writers of the genre, whilst losing nothing of the strangeness or wildness that make it one of the more interesting sections of the fantasy genre.

The book starts surprisingly slowly and the first story is perhaps the weakest part of the book; it drags a little as the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are introduced and are set upon their paths.  The writing here is self indulgent and woolly, and it's a relief when the characters arrive in Lankhmar itself and meet, if only because the pace picks up and Leiber's use of language becomes much sharper.

Despite this I must say it's a shame that two interesting characters, the women the protagonists are romantically involved with, are killed off in the first story.  Partly, it feels cheap and cliched but also the women's deaths feel like a waste, they had potential and through their deaths it's squandered.  Even with the springboard it gives the characters for the other stories (as they're established as being driven by guilt), it's something of a blemish on the book.  Of course this may be because this sort of motivation for heroes has become ubiquitous across fantastic fiction, to the extent that within comics the "women in refrigerators" trope has been established, deconstructed and soundly mocked.

The rest of the stories are intriguing and make for more fulfilling reading.  The world that Leiber builds has a charm to it, full of wonders and mysteries.  Whether on the streets of Lankhmar itself, full of strangeness and charm but seedy and somehow realistic feeling, or out in the odder parts of Nehwon, the world feels solid and exciting.  The city, which forms the centre of the characters' world, is almost a third character and has a texture of its own.

In common with many sword and sorcery settings it feels as if it has been constructed piece by piece rather than as a whole; the stories have come first and there's no feeling that Leiber ever sat down and mapped the world out.  This doesn't matter because the stories are so intimate; they don't tackle the world spanning events, and the more political aspects of the protagonists' careers are skated over rather than fully explored.    This seems apposite as the heart of both characters is focused on adventure and the acquisition of gold, it's clear from the start that neither Fafhrd or the Mouser will end up as kings; neither of them are Conan.

This said they aren't Elric either and moments of melancholia are generally swept away by a fresh adventure or an opportunity to engage in cunning; even the prospect of being sent from Nehwon into the ancient world of our own Earth isn't enough to dampen their spirits for long (this is perhaps the bravest part of the book, and makes for an interesting read as Leiber adapts both his protagonists to their new setting, albeit briefly). It's clear that Leiber had fun creating challenges for the pair, which range from violence to the unfortunate side effects of spells, usually cast by the Mouser himself.

The characters are well drawn, multi faceted creations, far from being simple warriors they have other traits, from the Mouser's magic or Fafhrd's skald, bardic abilities.  This gives the characters so much depth and variety and allows them to exhibit a wonderful level of whimsy.  Their shared history is referenced in places, none so more effectively than the final story where they stage a duel for the benefit of rival employers to great effect.

If I had to sum up Lankhmar in a single word it would be charming; the work practically oozes charisma from the page and is such an easy read that twice whilst reading it I lost track of time, hardly a good thing on your morning commute.  This comes highly recommended for sword and sorcery fans.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...