Skip to main content

Review: 20 Years Later by Emma Newman



I was spurred to pick this book up by seeing the author speak at Edge - Lit, in Derby. She sat on the horror panel, 'Do We Still Need Monsters' (or some such, it was to do with whether monsters are still necessary  in any case - the answer was yes by the way) and I was impressed with the way she came across.  As one of my great loves is a good apocalypse story I thought it was worth picking up her debut novel and seeing what I thought of it.

In all honesty the answer to that, is that my feeling are quite mixed.  On the one hand the world Newman has created is vibrant, realistic and exciting. She ably sculpts a post apocalyptic London that seems plausible and dangerous, with inhabitants and gangs that feel as if they fit naturally into her setting.  The additional details of the gangs make them interesting to read, though they do raise a fair of number of questions; for instance if there are Bloomsbury Boys, why no Bloomsbury Girls?  Women are rare in the book, something which I'm frankly uncertain what to make of, is it a stylistic choice, an indication that Newman's more comfortable writing male characters or a not so veiled nod to the vulnerability of women in a world after an apocalypse with its resultant break down in law and order.

Other aspects are handled well, and in an intriguing fashion, the protagonist and his closest allies development of psychic abilities is nicely written, with Newman using a nice idea of a room where they meet when they're asleep that's almost equivalent to the mental network that John Wyndham uses in the Chrysalids, but with more show than tell.

The story itself, which ultimately concerns the reasons behind the apocalypse and the protagonist's discovery of his identity is interesting but feels slight in places and there's too much that feels unexplored; this is a world that cries out to be revisited and developed further.  There are so many questions to answer, concerning the world's set up, the startling abilities the young people begin to exhibit in the story, the power the Red Queen exhibits over people and whether she has psi abilities, and the events hinted at in the prologue and epilogue that I really hope that there's a sequel or three planned.  It would be a shame to leave the world undeveloped to the extent that it is currently.

The main problems I had with the book were that the characters sometimes felt very shallow and again, undeveloped.  They frequently didn't have particularly strong individual voices and it was hard to get a sense of who they were.  The other issue was the motivation for the apocalypse, which felt out of the step with the world, being caused by racism, rather than what currently feels more topical, religious intolerance (I know that they're only a hair apart but somehow the fact that it was down to the villains wanting to wipe out black people feels antiquated to me, as if it's a hangover from the 20th Century). This also has the effect of transforming the villain into a vaudevillian mustache twirler rather than a serious, credible threat, in a similar way to Alan Moore's penchant for making his villains homophobic.  For all his power, the people working for him, the atrocities he had committed, the reveal of his intentions wipes out any standing he has in one fell swoop, changing him into a one note caricature.

All in all I'd say that it's a good first novel, but one that isn't without its flaws and that cries out for a sequel at the very least.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...