Skip to main content

Review: Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman

The first novel of the Split Worlds series is the first book I bought off the back of going to Edge Lit and to say I enjoyed it is an understatement. I'd read 20 Years Later by the same author last year and whilst I enjoyed that, I would say that there's a marked improvement in Newman's writing style. Even with the consideration that the book's aimed at a different market the prose felt more confident and the characterisation more deft.



The plot is many layered, taking us into a world where there's a hidden world, the Nether, stuck between the human world and Exillium or if you prefer, Faerie. The protagonists come in the form of an ensorcelled man, a young girl on the run from her family, one of the stalwarts of the hidden world that serves the Faerie Lords, and an 'arbiter' investigating a strange case in London. Newman skillfully tangles the three together into a lovely plot that focuses on high society and low treachery. Perhaps more importantly she wastes none of them and touches on all their lives. Even if Cathy, the runaway, is the main focus for the novel's gaze, we learn about Sam's (the hapless mortal's) marital difficulties or the issues Max, the 'arbiter, has with having titanium in his leg. It must be said that pure id that is the gargoyle Max's soul animates, is wonderfully fresh, providing a real balance to the guarded natures of the other characters.

The action takes place all across the UK, with a particular focus on Bath and it's Nether reflection. Whilst London is important, it's nice to see a break from the frequently London centric content of urban fantasy novels (I get why London is frequently the centre for novels, everyone has a clue what it looks like but it's still nice to see other parts of the country getting some love). Within Bath (or Aquae Sulis if you prefer - the cities in the Nether take their names from the old Roman ones), we're introduced to the great families and their high society, which seems to be a mixture of Downton Abbey and the kind of society you see in many of the World of Darkness games from White Wolf. Here face is everything, honour is something to be defended and, frankly, women are there to be pretty and make babies. The world is very patriarchal and in part it feels as if this is being viewed quite harshly by the author; that facet of fantasy fiction that let us critically assess the world we live in comes into play.

The pacing is good, the Fae are creepy and suitably inhuman (one thing that threw me was their link to flowers, which echoed Tad Williams' War of the Flowers and left me wondering if it was an intentional homage). The mortal characters range from down to earth and level headed to almost as scary as the Fae (in fact in some respects scarier).

One thing I very much like about this world is its focus. Urban fantasy can often 'splash' too easily, dragging in vampires, werewolves, demons and who knows what else; a focus on the fae and their servant families as well as mortals who oppose them in an uneasy fashion, makes a welcome change to the 'throw it at the wall and see if it sticks', attitude of many authors. I suspect Newman's background as a gamer really helps at this time. I also suspect that it's one of the things that helps her flesh out the world so effectively.

All in all this is a strong novel, a lovely concept and a well written piece of fantasy that manages to be relevant even if it's drawing on a mode of society from 100 years ago (perhaps casting a warning to the people who are so nostalgic they'd wish away the last century in favour of the 19th). As such it succeeds, in my opinion as both a work of fiction and as a piece of social commentary. What's clear is that this is only the first of a series (or perhaps simply a trilogy), there are still questions to answer and mysteries to solve. Happily it also stands on its own, so I felt I got the best of both worlds there, truth be told.  Highly enjoyable and much recommended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...