Skip to main content

Hidden Treasures: The Books Only You Seem To Have Read

I think we all have them, books we love that nobody else seems to have read, or even heard of. I was honestly taken aback to see a friend mention the White Crow books by Mary Gentle on Twitter the other day, if only because most people don't even seem to know who she is, let alone remember gems like Rats and Gargoyles.

It got me thinking, what other books are there that nobody else I know seems to have read?

And so I made a little list...

1 Silk by Caitlin R Kiernan

Kiernan's first novel was a heady mixture of Lovecraftian horror and the Goth scene and established her voice as a genuine outsider, something that shoots through her work. I came to read it as a result of her her work on the Dreaming, and the chronicle of Spider Baxter's strange transformation and the legacy it left seemed strange and wonderful.

2 The White Crow novels by Mary Gentle

Beautifully written and esoteric, the first of the books, Rats and Gargoyles introduced me to a completely different type of fantasy, jettisoning a lot of the familiar stuff that mired Fantasy in the early 1990s. There were no young farm boys or scullions waiting for the quest to reveal their true identities, no good Gods warring with the evil outcast in a sub Tolkienesque world. Instead there were machines, rats and the Fane... It was heavy, literary and wonderful.

3 Lovely Biscuits by Grant Morrison

A collection of short stories that sum up so much of Morrison's work and which are by turns, strange, disturbing and breathless. Whether its the homage to Sherlock Holmes in the Room Where Love Lives or the sheer odd weight of Lovecraft in Heaven, Lovely Biscuits marks the road that Morrison has walked extremely well.

4 Jago by Kim Newman

Newman is probably most popular for his marvellous Anno Dracula stories, but Jago is the novel which disturbs me most, mixing Millennium Fever, psychic power and time travel in a heady, horrific mix rivalled only the Quorum.

5 The Wood Wife by Terri Windling

Beautifully wrought, this novel traces an artist's encounters with the spirits of the Arizona desert as she seeks her muse. It's full of lovely images and has a deeply moving plot. Again, its one of the books I found in the 1990s after I moved away from epic Fantasy and onto the more Contemporary variety. In this case I'd read Blood Red, Snow White and was intrigued by the idea of the Wood Wife. It seemed very much in line with my interests.

All these books remain firm favourites of mine, though they don't get read as much as I'd like because of time constraints.

What are yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...