New Things

The last few months have seen a bit of growth for me, in that I'm trying new things and learning about new things. Some, I'm not going into here (private as private can be), but others... well yeah, I can talk about them.

Or some of them, I don't want to bore you silly.

First, I'm trying a load of food that I've never eaten. I wasn't an adventurous eater as a child and as an adult I've often been guided by my sense of smell; if something smells bad, why would I want to eat it? It's a good rule of thumb but... it means I've missed out on a lot of things and now, if I'm offered the opportunity to try something new, I'm taking it. Last night that meant discovering that I don't mind salmon (which surprised me as I'm not the biggest fish fan), and last week that fried eggs aren't gross. It feels silly to be finding that out now, but I've found it easy to say I don't like something without tasting it based on a childhood memory or the way it smells. Now, I want to explore more food, more drink and so on, just to see what I actually enjoy.

Musically, and again this is odd, I found I like Marilyn Manson... or at least more of Marilyn Manson than Beautiful People, which was the only track of his I'd really heard. I like more of Linkin Park too, which while I knew I liked their tracks I've had a chance to hear more of their music and find out if I enjoy it. I even like... some... techno and dance music (if the bass is heavy enough). Again, this is a surprise because it's not really my kind of thing most of the time. Or at least, despite liking VNV Nation, Swarf, Rosetta Stone and other Gothtronica bands, I didn't think it was. Turns out that I don't mind it nearly as much as I thought I did, which is nice.

Now for the big one... Game of Thrones. Yeah, I sat down, watched the first season, got past the animal cruelty at the end of the second episode, and I'm hooked. Admittedly it's trailing behind American Gods in my list of beloved TV shows, but I like it and I'm invested. I even get, to an extent, what Martin is trying to do and even though I'm pretty sure that the series will boil down to a fairy tale romance between Dany and Jon eventually (especially as they're both already characters out of fairy tales even at the end of season 3, which is as far as I've got), perhaps with Tyrion as their wise cracking adviser. I must admit that part of the appeal is the fact it's based on real history and tracing which bits of the narrative are based on real events and which are pure fiction.

I'm actually looking forward to reading the books (again, I never thought I'd say that).

Comments

Popular Posts