Age of Sigmar: Soulbound and ChatGPT

 Hi, 


So, I got this game a while ago, but haven't played it. A few months ago I started looking at it properly and looking for a way to start writing something I wanted to run - unfortunately, I bounced off the Great Parch. I just didn't feel it was real, somehow (I mean, obviously it's not, but it feels like it lacked the character that abounds in the Old World setting for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay). With that in mind, I asked ChatGPT about making me a spine for an adventure and it provided something about a haunted house. So far, so Call of Cthulhu, really, but it was decent enough. I asked for a sequel, and then a sequel to the sequel - specifying that I wanted the third adventure to involve pirates. 


The LLM did its job, and it was an interesting opportunity to play around with that and the Age of Sigmar, so I asked it to start building this city - Greyhaven. It was an interesting experiment, though probably not one I'll repeat too often. The AI was usually able to "make up" interesting things (though I really hope I haven't ripped anyone off), but it definitely has its flaws. Sometimes it lost the thread of the conversation and would create new gangs or people out of the blue. It even made entire new parts of the city. I'd go so far as to say that the amount of material was never an issue, but the quality sometimes dipped or became nonsensical. The job I had to take on was editing and embellishing to make sure it all made sense, adding things the AI had missed as I went. 

What impressed me most was that I could ask ChatGPT to summarise the conversation and analyse what was missing. That meant I could keep up with where we were and ask questions to develop parts of the document that weren't as detailed. 

I would like to stress that this was for personal use (though I am giving it away for free here) and I've only used it for roleplaying games. As an author type, I'm very conscious of not wanting to rip anyone off and that it's important to have a strong base from which to launch my own fiction. 

I still haven't played the game and really want to! I've been a Warhammer fan for a long time (even if I never succumbed to the lure of little men to fight battles with) and while I  do like the Old World a lot - partly because of Kim Newman's fiction - I do like what I've seen of the Age of Sigmar. I really want to play either a Kharadron Overlord, because who doesn't like Steampunk Dwarves, or one of the Sylvaneth because Ents with attitude is such a cool idea. 

Anyway, I've linked to the edited "visitors guide" to Greyhaven below and to the Valiant Circle - a group of adventurers who operate out of the city. Led by the Stormcast Eternal called Galeria, they are dedicated to defending the city and hunting out the forces that would destroy it. In particular, they're focused on the forces of Nurgle, seeking to beat back his worshippers, unaware of the Tzeentch cult that thrives within the walls of their home city. 

The City and the Binding

Greyhaven

The Valiant Circle

The Valiant Circle: Party Sheet

Members of the Binding:

Galeria Stormcast Eternal

Shallara Tideborn Black Ark Corsair

Jurgen Dask Battlewizard

Haaldhorn Sylvaneth Tree Revenant Waypiper

Fyrgrim Blackfyrd Doomseeker

Comments

Popular Posts