Skip to main content

The Unkindness Of Birds

 Today sees the next episode of Shadows of the Past: The Unkindness of Birds being published on Wattpad. The episode ends the second act and leads into Act 3. 

I wrote this scene in a different form as part of the original form of the story, and got adapted when I rewrote it. Initially, it followed on from the fight in the bedchamber, with "Gertrude" performing the actions she takes at a much earlier point in the original. The whole thing I wanted to emphasise initially was the way that Lady Ella-Dýr was being manipulated and was more or less helpless to stop the changeling from doing anything. The rewrite changed that to make her more formidable, and to introduce more problems for Elna in the process - which is really what the rewrite was all about.

Other changes crept their way in, for example I changed the birds that "Gertrude" changed into - to make her a literal cuckoo in the nest. I also wanted to play around with Fergus' apparent inability to understand Elna isn't a man (his own sexism blinding him to what Elna feels is obvious), but also to underline the idea that in some respects Elna is assumed to be male because she presents as one. The Medieval physique would have been very different to the way we think about women today and I wanted to underscore the fact that the protagonist isn't what we'd think of as "womanly" and, in Judith Butler's terms, she doesn't "perform" femininity at all.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...