My Reading List By Cara McKee

Today we have Cara McKee, of the Oh We Do blog (http://ohwedo.blogspot.co.uk/) talking about her reading list and the problem of too manh books. Cara is a blogger, writer and Mum living in Scotland.



I have a mountainous backlog of books to read. I have never in my life reached the bottom of the pile, but at the moment it is really high. Someone suggested I switch to Kindle. The trouble is I already have... and I have plenty of books backed up to read on Kindle as well.

I blame Facebook. Partly because the shiny blue bauble on my 'phone and my tablet, tells me when I've got notifications, and I can't, I just can't, avoid looking. But mainly because Facebook helps me communicate with friends from all over, and one of the things I communicate about is books. If something sounds interesting, I keep my eye out for it.

One of the books on my Kindle is The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers. Recommended by Steve, and boosted to close to the top of the pile, behind the current crop:
  • Dangerous Women by George RR Martin and Gardner Dozois is my current mission – I bought it for the George RR Martin story, but I was really annoyed at it being called Dangerous Women and yet featuring many more dangerous men, so I'm compiling evidence.
  • Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. We read Behind the Scenes at the Museum for Book Group and I was pretty taken with it, so I bought a load of Kate Atkinson books at a car boot. This one however, is the latest Book Group book, leant from a friend. I need to finish it so I can get into...
  • ...Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel – I've been wanting to read this for ages. I haven't read any fiction by Mantel, but love her style in articles. Plus I love historical fiction, especially around this period. This is the next Book Group book (I tried to get The Stress of Her Regard, but they quailed at the mention of vampires).
  • The Mummyfesto by Linda Green. I got sent this to review AGES ago, and I have tried, I really have, but it's so awful. Sorry Linda, you seem lovely, but I do not like this book.

Behind Tim Powers are all the books I've been buying at car boot sales (apart from the end of the Sookie Stackhouse series – I couldn't resist reading that straight away) – Trudi Canavan, Kate Atkinson and JV Jones amongst others, and I really want to re-read the Song of Ice and Fire series before the next one comes out...

...I think I might have time to hang fire on that.

My children piled up all the books I've got in my to-read pile, and laughed that it was nearly as big as them. I felt a bit daunted and a friend suggested I just take a break from reading for a few weeks.

TAKE A BREAK FROM READING?! Why in the name of all that's holy would I want to do that?


What's in your to-read list?

Comments

Popular Posts