Skip to main content

Things I Wonder



This is a list of the things I wonder about at times.

1) If you have a chair but you don't use it to sit on... is it still a chair? (Which is a roundabout way, I guess, of asking if form trumps function).

2) Did soldiers after Agincourt, Hastings, and other battles in Medieval history (and Ancient history) suffer from PTSD? Would they be more or less likely to suffer from it? After all, most soldiers in the past weren't trained only to be soldiers, the idea of the professional soldier is relatively recent (apart from outliers like Rome where serving as a Legionary was just part of being a citizen for a long time).

3) Do humans exist in a state of eternal paradox?

4) Why did anyone buy into the idea of the world being flat when so many ancient cultures knew it was round? As I understand it the claim that Columbus was a genius because he realised the world round came from that famed historian, Washington Irving (you know the guy who wrote Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle) who was a Columbus fanboy, so chose to exaggerate his achievements. Why anyone took that as confirmation is beyond me.

5) Is history, as an academic discipline, mostly a case of patting ourselves on the back and saying 'haven't we done well'?

6) Has politics become mere theatre to satisfy people that democracy matters? I mean, obviously laws are passed and debates are held, but does the shuffling of governments really change anything? I'm not sure it does, anymore.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...