Skip to main content

Review: Iron Man 3

Before we get started; Spoilers Ahoy!



The third of the Iron Man films and the first of Marvel's Stage 2, I was unsure about this movie for a while before going to see it. I enjoyed the first film and very much enjoyed Robert Downey Jr's performance but the sequel left me cold, using a poor pair of villains (Whiplash and Justin Hammer are distinctly D list) and really seeming to serve as a vehicle to expand the Marvel film universe and introduce SHIELD as a major player, as well as setting up things up for Captain America.

Given how unimpressed I was with Thor (same weak plot, with a cast that mostly left me cold; apologies to the people who enjoyed it but I don't really see the appeal of either Tom Hiddlestone or Chris Hemsworth), I was unsure about this film, worrying it would stick to the tried, tested... dull plot line that's come to characterise so many of superhero films.

Having been to see it tonight, I can safely say that I needn't have worried. It's a fine film, albeit with a few niggling things that I would have liked to have explained and mixed feelings over the villain. Its a film that sets out to address the question of what Iron Man is, aside from a guy in a suit and does it by taking Tony Stark's toys away from him and forcing him to rely on his wits and intelligence. The only link to the wider universe is the presence of War Machine, ah I mean Iron Patriot (I can see why they chose to use the name but come on, it's nowhere near as cool) and in some ways it actually seems a little odd. Surely with someone as dangerous as the Mandarin, you'd want Nick Fury in the room. Maybe he was off being all mysterious and bastardy. This is very much Tony on his own against the world.

The arc in the film is, again, about what it means to be a hero but this time rather than having a journey from cocky bastard to hero we have a self repair story, with Tony damaged and over compensating from his experiences in Avengers Assemble, building more and more suits of armour. This reaction ties perfectly to the character, as he says he 'fixes things'. The story premise is also perfect for the character, some of the great comics stories are tales of Tony fixing himself, even if it means clawing his way back from the dead; something seen most recently in Stark: Disassembled. I don't wish to offer too much in the way of spoilers, but suffice to say that Stark is more self assured and level headed by the end of the film than he is at the beginning.

There's also an element of flesh versus metal to the whole enterprise, with villains who are based on upgrading biology to grant upgrades (aka superpowers) and the Iron Man suit as both a support and a crutch for Tony; something he must rely on and work around.

The fight scenes are beautiful in many places and the final fight (the one with all the suits is a thing of wonder) but its here a few of the cracks of the film start to show. The maguffin it utilises to create the antagonists is a cool idea but, in the film, seems woefully limited. I can appreciate the special effects budget was needed for more important things but it felt a little lazy in places.

There were a couple of things I would have liked to have seen explained, why was AIM using the ten rings symbol from the first film and why was Killian so mad about the Roxxon Oil disaster? Both were neat touches but it would have been really nice to have an explanation for them.

The use of the Mandarin was something I'm in two minds about. On one hand it was a really cool idea, a beautiful way of including a classic villain, arguably Iron Man's A list foe, without succumbing to racist stereotypes that arguably date from Fu Manchu and the days of  the Yellow Peril. On the other hand... it's the Mandarin for crying out loud, making him a half soaked actor, stoned out of his head on drugs, is a waste of a character whose presence always means that bad shit is about to happen and who's a formidable foe all on his own! I realise that he had to be the villain for this film, closing out the series with anyone else would have been ridiculous and the Iron Man rogue's gallery is patchy at the best of times - he doesn't need lots of villains, when he's his own worst enemy.

The film works very well, closes out the trilogy nicely and puts us in no doubt of where things are going, setting the character up for Avengers 2. The end of titles scene is nicely done, but sadly doesn't set up anything up for the next film in Phase 2, perhaps it doesn't need to, and is definitely worth staying for. It's a good film, if you like superhero films, it gets away from the daddy issues and even the angsting to an extent. Go, see it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...