Skip to main content

Remembrance and Misrule

 So it goes, the annual 12 days of Misrule, Death, Remembrance, and Defiance in the UK have come to an end. We have 4 holidays in close succession to each other, starting with Halloween (or All Souls' Day... or if you're one of my fellow travellers, Samhain), followed by All Saints' Day - which is usually overlooked - then Guy Fawkes' Night and finally, Remembrance Day. The season, for it would be foolish to deny that that's what it is, is united by an idea of defiance either against the encroaching winter or mortal authority, and by a clashing solemnity as we grow closer to today. It travels from the supernatural to the mundane, from monsters to the sacrifice of the flower of youth in a war so horrible that we don't dare forget it. 


That element of misrule is a point of much contention - the Church of England never fails to warn about demons and the dangers of the occult, while in many ways the Guy - the figure burned on bonfires on November 5th - is a way of cocking a snook at the political leaders of the country. As such the festivals provide an important release valve for a society that only appears to be at ease with itself. Psychologically, it provides a point to release emotions and engage in a bit of topsy turvy. Arguably, that's a necessary thing - provided it doesn't get taken too far - because in the same way that it's okay for people not to play the capitalist game, there must be a chance for all our inner rebelliousness to be expressed. All the other festivals celebrated in the UK - even May Day - are more concerned with the imposition of order and hierarchy, so having that moment of misrule is important. Misrule, the ability to cut against what authority tells us is right is an essential part of a healthy society and it should be celebrated.


I found myself thinking about that today as I went out to grab some groceries. It is, of course, the day where we remember the fallen soldiers from the wars, certainly from the First World War onwards - though I would like to think we also remember the dead from earlier conflicts. Aside from the hay bales that are blocking the road around Bourne Avenue, the thing that struck me was the field gun and men dressed in military gear. It's fair enough, you might say, after all it is a day to remember war dead... but I find myself asking if we ought to bring some of that spirit of misrule to the affair, not in a silly joking way, but in the form of questions about how our leaders lead, how they rule, how they make decisions. I don't say this lightly, but because the overall feeling I have is that the people in charge are remote from the decisions they make - in the same way that the generals in the First World War threw lives away with an outdated war doctrine. We are still lions led by donkeys, sadly. It's time that changed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...