Skip to main content

Slow Dating

Recently I've embraced the idea of going slowly. I suppose its partly a reaction to a world that seems to move ever faster, almost to the point that nothing matters except the speed that things get done. There's probably an element of getting older in it too - it feels as if fast all too often equals corners being cut or the thing concerned not really being worth it if there's not waiting involved. 


One area in particular that I want to go slowly is in dating. Part of that's because I'm conscious I have to get divorced, but also that I have attachment issues. I tend to fall in love, or perhaps just become infatuated, very easily and that works against my better judgement. As a consequence, I'm telling myself that I have to go slow and just start with meeting with someone to have cups of tea and go book shopping with. Maybe with a side thing of going for walks and wandering through graveyards (because they're beautiful). I want to be someone's friend who becomes their lover rather than the other way around... As I get older it feels almost like we focus too much on sex - almost as much as we do speed - rather than companionship, and I'm not sure that's particularly healthy. Mostly, it's a feeling that I want to get to know someone thoroughly before committing to anything and relishing the chance to enjoy the journey instead of rushing to the destination.

Identifying as non-binary is also part of this, because I feel a certain amount of trepidation around dating... I've always dated women and I prefer them to men (though I am a bi curious) but I don't know how to approach being with someone as an in-betweeny/agender person, not least because it seems to me that often men and women are busy defining each other based on what they experienced in childhood and cultural stories, sometimes with very little basis in fact. One of my favourite philosophers, Alan Watts, says that opposites define each other - a mountain defines a valley, sound defines silence etc, and that you can't have one without the other. I suppose, in this case - to go off into weird wibbly wobbly space for a moment - men and women are relying on the other to define each other, usually as opposites. The problem is that this is one instance, in my view, where it doesn't really work. More to the point, I feel as if I'm outside that, purely by being myself. I want to be able to turn up to a date in heels and a skirt without having to be anyone but myself, or affect a "cool writer" look with makeup on too (and not just Goth stuff - I crave colour these days). 

So, I'm not really sure where to start looking, who to look for, or what to do. I think the best thing might be to start looking for friends above all else. That means doubling down on rpg playing, going to book groups (if I can find one that I can get to), and other things. I'm pretty sure I can do that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...