Skip to main content

The Ugly Problem

It's hard to know what to write today, and part of me is thinking I should keep my trap shut.

On the other hand I feel I should at least do something about the sudden hairpin turn that my country has taken in the past week. To be honest it feels as if the UK has suddenly become a lot nastier, a lot darker and less tolerant.

It's as if the anger that has built up over the years, in many cases quite legitimately as successive governments have let the country go to the dogs, has been unleashed in the nastiest way possible. Racist abuse is on the rise and there's been at least one arson attack, as a halal butchers was petrol bombed. The horror I feel that this was a local incident to me is something I cannot express. Add to that the racist and homophobic chants reported in the Pink News, and the fact that Attitude is reporting that a Daily Mail columnist blames same sex marriage for the Brexit vote and I find myself wondering if the world has gone mad, or if the acceptance of all the things I associate with my country being tolerant and welcoming were an illusion, and that now I'm being forced to see the place for what it is.

I really hope that this is a generational thing, though it's interesting to note that 58% of Christians in the UK supported Leaving the EU, and 70% of Muslims supported staying in. Is that significant beyond the obvious sense that in the UK many of the people who identify as Christian are older, more conservative and possibly have no idea how much the world has changed (honestly pushing for independence at a point where everything is getting bigger and superseding the nation state is madness, but I guess its the sort of madness you get when people feel they have no control of their lives). To link it to the kind of thing I usually write about, this should give us an inkling of what a zombie apocalypse would look like.

Are you sure you want one, now? (It's the sort of fantasy that prospers when things are going okay, perhaps now we'll see a shift away from that sort of narrative, after all if we want to see monsters we need only look in the mirror).

It's as if these people are taking the exit as a signal to unleash hell and do whatever they want. Perhaps they really believe that 60% of UK law comes from Brussels and, as a consequence, they no longer have to worry about their thuggish behaviour. In the meantime, the ship is off course, rudderless and without a captain. Caught up in their own affairs, the residents of Westminster's bubble fight their own battles while the angry boys make everyone else's lives a misery, careening about like toddlers on too much sugar. Someone needs to say 'no'. Someone needs to reinforce the message that this is not acceptable.

In the absence of an authority figure, that has to be us. I urge you to get in contact with your friends who might be in danger and check that they're okay. If you see something on the street, stand up to the people who do it. Don't let them fill our buses, trains, and trams with their hateful bilge. Don't let them fill our public spaces with their noxious opinions. Please.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...