Skip to main content

My Values: Work

A couple of years ago I had a course of CBT. I'd been struggling for a while with my mental health, particularly with stress and anxiety, and while things are better now it's the kind of thing that never really disappears.

One of the things that the course stressed was the importance of living in accordance with your values and beliefs; trying not to only leads to stress and mental problems as you try to be something... someone you're not. Perhaps it wasn't intended to, but that led me to question the core assumptions I'd made about myself, examining my identity to see if I felt like what I assumed to be me still fitted. One of the things I abandoned was my belief in Paganism, as I realised had nothing to show I was a Pagan beyond a bunch of jewellery and half heartedly cooking special meals each Sabbat. I've never really meditated, I've tried it but never got beyond the point of shutting my eyes and having a load of random thoughts try to do the bum's rush on me, and I have never successfully managed a path working. I have no idea if I have a spirit guide or whatever, and the older I get the sillier, and more commercial, the whole thing seems. I'm still looking at it, I have Vivianne Crowley's Phoenix from the Flame to read and I keep telling myself that I'll have another go at meditation (the fact that I'm not actively pursuing this course perhaps suggests that that's balderdash) .

In a similar fashion, this process led to me abandoning any thought of being a Steampunk. It's not that I don't admire that subculture/movement, but it doesn't speak to me on an emotional level in the way Goth does. Plus, well there's some other stuff that I won't go into here.

To be a bit more positive living according to my values means that this year I've been working towards going independent, getting a stronger set of freelancing gigs going and basically being able to stand on my own feet as a freelancer. This fits my values, as I don't believe in big bureaucracies, or in large companies. If anything I've come to believe that they're bad things, destroying communities and traditional ways of life. If a supermarket opens in the local area odds are that the local shops will close, taking their supply chains with them. One store can wipe out dozens of others and the farms they do business with. Large government departments prove to be inefficient and as political power in the UK becomes increasingly centralised, we can see how out of touch they become. Perhaps the debate we should be having isn't public v private ownership, but small business against multinationals. I genuinely believe that the bigger a company gets, the more its bureaucracy will become complicated and the more it will become self-fulfilling, creating red tape for the sake of it.

The other thing is that I genuinely believe that work should be noble, it should be something we are proud to do, rewarding us for undertaking it.

That isn't really what happens though and most jobs are just stressful, stupid and time consuming. They last too long in the day, you're paid for your time, not the work you undertake... a situation that ironically means that most of us end up doing more work as being in the office by its nature creates more work for us to do. Imagine what it would be like if you could do your work and then just go home for the day. Instead, the working day waxes longer and longer, and that's before you consider the office politics.

I also believe that these huge groupings are diminishing humanity's ability to undertake creative work by miring us in process and formulaic thinking. As a result, we are giving up a vital part of humanity, in my opinion, making us more like machines.

I'm not sure how we change things on the macro scale, but for me... trying to go independent is what feels right.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving and Thriving in the Urban World of Darkness: A Guide for Garou

 Welcome to the blog, or welcome back if you're a regular reader. Thanks for stopping by. This is Shores of Night. On Sundays we talk about Werewolf: the Apocalypse , White Wolf's eco-horror roleplaying game. I talk about things within the game that interest me, explore areas which I think need to be considered, and sometimes try to make stuff.  Apologies for missing last week, life got in the way. I'm finding things a bit hard at present because I'm consuming too much news content and even though I'm in the UK, current events in the US are weighing heavily on my mind. It feels like life has become that much more difficult and, in the themes of Werewolf, that what's happening will only lead to the planet suffering more. It feels like our cities will become darker and less pleasant too, though perhaps not to the extent that they would be in the World of Darkness. At least we can be relatively sure that what's happening in the "real world" (if such a...

101 Changeling: the Dreaming Story Seeds

I've put together 101 Story Seeds for Changeling the Dreaming which is free to anyone to use for their Changeling Chronicles.. You can find it as a PDF download here: 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds . I've detailed possible subplots for the game, the same as I did with Hellfrost. The thing I should say before you go a-scrolling, is that some of the plot lines are for adult gamers, be that because they deal with adult subjects or because they're the sort of things that are a bit more to do with planning and so on. I'm planning to put together a Changeling micro setting, set at a campus university, please let know if that would be of interest. Changeling the Dreaming, Kithain and other official game terms are copyright White Wolf Games (1995), while original characters are copyright of Steve Cotterill (2018) Permission is given to use original characters for home use. 101 Changeling the Dreaming Story Seeds Mean: Some of the Kithain ar...

The Traveller's Guide to the Umbra

 Welcome back, or if you're here for the first time, then hello. These blog posts are dedicated to the roleplaying game Werewolf: The Apocalypse , one of my favourite games. They're intended to form a primer for the game, to explain it to potential new players. Most of what I've written has been tagged with the Werewolf label, and I'm working to ensure everything I've published for the game here has the tag.  This week, we're returning to the mysterious spirit world, the Umbra, to discuss travel and survival. Last time we got a basic idea of the part of the Umbra werewolves interact with the most (there are other realms, but those appear in Mage: The Ascension and Wraith: The Oblivion far more than in Werewolf, and can be challenging for the Garou to visit, so I'm only going to cover them if it's requested. This content is designed for the 20th Anniversary Edition of Werewolf, which is what I'm sticking with. Apologies if you're a 5th Edition f...